AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently strung a 35 foot HDMI DVI cable to my Hitachi 55 inch 55HDM71 Plasma monitor in preparation for getting the DVD HD A2 and be able to get the benefits of Upconversion of SD DVDs in addtion to playing HD DVDs.

I use DirectTv and have their HD receiver which has a HDMI output. I presently use Component Cables to the Hitachi Monitor.

Would I benefit by using the HDMI DVI cable for Satellite Signals as well as those of the HD DVD A2 or just stick with the Component Cables?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
If you've been happy with the HD picture via components with your satellite box, I'd just stick with it. I personally see no difference in using component vs. HDMI with my H10-250 DirecTV HD Tivo. Having said that, I do use HDMI, primarily, now, since I'm using a Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch, feeding my DirecTV Tivo, Toshiba HD-A2, Panasonic S-97s, and Playstation 3 into my Toshiba 52hm84 DLP monitor. I've done A/B comparisons of the HDMI input and the component input of the satellite box (since I have both connected now) I and see no difference, but using the HDMI switch allows for a smoother transition from sources than switching the source with the TV itself (does that make sense?).

·
Registered
877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/0

since I'm using a Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch, feeding my DirecTV Tivo, Toshiba HD-A2, Panasonic S-97s, and Playstation 3 into my Toshiba 52hm84 DLP monitor.

I've seen a dual HDMI adapter that will allow you to plug into it two HDMI cables on one end and plug the other end into a single HDMI connection such as on a receiver, display, etc. Does the MonoPrice 5x1 HDMI switch work the same way. or do you have to manually switch. or is there a remote? So you can connect 5 HDMI cables into your 5X1 switch and it connects into your monitor? Sounds cool. I found a Yamaha receiver that has 3 HDMI inputs. Not near enough. I also want at least 2 outputs but haven't found that yet. One for projector at night and one for flat panel during day. It might be cool to have PS3 on projector and XBox on flat screen at the same time for parties. Suppose that adapter or switch will work in reverse on the back of an receiver? Say sending out a signal from one HDMI slot in receiver to to video displays. I don't suppose more than one signal can run through it at the same time? One for move and another for PS3?Not sure anyone will be able to even follow this paragraph.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee /forum/post/0

I've seen a dual HDMI adapter that will allow you to plug into it two HDMI cables on one end and plug the other end into a single HDMI connection such as on a receiver, display, etc. Does the MonoPrice 5x1 HDMI switch work the same way. or do you have to manually switch. or is there a remote? So you can connect 5 HDMI cables into your 5X1 switch and it connects into your monitor? Sounds cool. I found a Yamaha receiver that has 3 HDMI inputs. Not near enough. I also want at least 2 outputs but haven't found that yet. One for projector at night and one for flat panel during day. It might be cool to have PS3 on projector and XBox on flat screen at the same time for parties. Suppose that adapter or switch will work in reverse on the back of an receiver? Say sending out a signal from one HDMI slot in receiver to to video displays. I don't suppose more than one signal can run through it at the same time? One for move and another for PS3?Not sure anyone will be able to even follow this paragraph.

First off, whoa, slow down. The Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch is a remote switch (I actually control it with my Harmony 880, although it comes with its own remote), and is HDCP-compliant, so yes, I guess it is a manual switch with a remote. Using macros on the Harmony 880 is painless, as you just add the switch as a step in the activity. The switch allows you to plug up to 5 HDMI sources (HD cable box, satellite box, PS3, DVD player, etc.) into it, and then plug the switch into your TV. It does essentially the same thing as the HDMI 2x1 or 3x1 switches you find in some A/V receivers. Yes, there are some 3x2 cross switches out there (such as Octavainc.com) that allow you to feed two separate monitors, but they start at around $300, and I can't vouch for how well they work. Incidentally, the Monoprice is very fairly priced at around $120 (just click the monoprice link at the top of AVS forum, and search for HDMI switch). No, the switch won't work in reverse on any A/V receiver, it can only process one signal at a time. However, according to the octava web site, their 3x2 switch can feed two different HD sources to two different monitors simultaneously (i.e., your PS3 to the projector and the Xbox or whatever to the LCD), which I think is what you seem to be most interested in. Anyway, look around. Geffen makes a good HDMI switch. The Monoprice 5x1 seems to be fairly hit or miss with people on AVS, although I haven't had a problem with it. However, apparently the PS3 only works in port #5 on the switch, at least from what I've read. When I got mine, I just plugged it into port 5 and had no problems, so didn't feel like trying out any other ports.

·
Registered
877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/0

First off, whoa, slow down. The Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch is a remote switch (I actually control it with my Harmony 880, although it comes with its own remote), and is HDCP-compliant, so yes, I guess it is a manual switch with a remote. Using macros on the Harmony 880 is painless, as you just add the switch as a step in the activity. The switch allows you to plug up to 5 HDMI sources (HD cable box, satellite box, PS3, DVD player, etc.) into it, and then plug the switch into your TV. It does essentially the same thing as the HDMI 2x1 or 3x1 switches you find in some A/V receivers. Yes, there are some 3x2 cross switches out there (such as Octavainc.com) that allow you to feed two separate monitors, but they start at around $300, and I can't vouch for how well they work. Incidentally, the Monoprice is very fairly priced at around $120 (just click the monoprice link at the top of AVS forum, and search for HDMI switch). No, the switch won't work in reverse on any A/V receiver, it can only process one signal at a time. However, according to the octava web site, their 3x2 switch can feed two different HD sources to two different monitors simultaneously (i.e., your PS3 to the projector and the Xbox or whatever to the LCD), which I think is what you seem to be most interested in. Anyway, look around. Geffen makes a good HDMI switch. The Monoprice 5x1 seems to be fairly hit or miss with people on AVS, although I haven't had a problem with it. However, apparently the PS3 only works in port #5 on the switch, at least from what I've read. When I got mine, I just plugged it into port 5 and had no problems, so didn't feel like trying out any other ports.
You're great! Thanks for all the info. I appreciate you taking the time to respond so fully.

Thanks again--

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Does anyone here know of a 1x2 switch or if the monoprice splitter can solve this problem: I need to setup a single HD-DVD player to output to two receivers, only using one at a time.

TIA...

·
Registered
269 Posts
One comment I'll make regarding using HDMI vs. component for broadcast feeds. It's possible that the broadcaster may at some point in the future require HDCP for certain types of content (such as a Hollywood movie in HD). Many broadcasters do not require HDCP at this point, but I would expect that they would have to begin performing encryption of certain premium content (i.e. the HD movies) in the future. For this reason, it's a good idea to either put the cable in there now, or be ready to add it should the broadcaster equipment begin to require it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_Org /forum/post/0

One comment I'll make regarding using HDMI vs. component for broadcast feeds. It's possible that the broadcaster may at some point in the future require HDCP for certain types of content (such as a Hollywood movie in HD). Many broadcasters do not require HDCP at this point, but I would expect that they would have to begin performing encryption of certain premium content (i.e. the HD movies) in the future. For this reason, it's a good idea to either put the cable in there now, or be ready to add it should the broadcaster equipment begin to require it.

I am in sympathy with the problem of theft of productions for distribution and its cost to the industry and in fact all of us one way or another. It must be a bonanza for the makers of AV equipment and doesn't seem right it should rest entirely on the backs of the consumer. I had to string a 35 foot cable behind walls to get to my display and optionally add a new 2307ci so I could upconvert SD DVDs..

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.