AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)
I have a Question:

Im searching for a Device which can convert a 1080p (60hz) Signal over HDMI on the Fly to 1080p with 120Hz (by doubling the Frames or even with „Interpolation“ if possible)…

can someone give me an Tipp, if there is a Solution for this available?

maybe a „Scaler“ or something like this?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Theoretically MadVR Extreme can do this with hdmi 2.1 output but that is not a feature available in the product right now. I would imagine that Lumagen might be interested in such a feature when the 2.1 standard matures. I would also imagine that HDFury may look to make this type of device at some point... I mean look at what Dennon had to do with the outboard fix for their hdmi 2.1 implementation... also the space for such a product is limited right now, Envy and Lumagen are mainly targeted at projectors and I'm not aware of Epson, Sony, or JVC putting out hdmi 2.1 units at this time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Lumagen Radiance 2144 and all Lumagen Radiance Pro models offer 1080p120 but without interpolation. I don’t believe such a device exist.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
The existing line of 4K HDfury devices cannot convert frame rate. They can change resolution, chroma, and bit-depth, but not frame rate.

I have no reason to expect that their forthcoming HDMI 2.1 device will be any different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see „Lumagen“ is extremely expensive.
And it has Features which for my use are needless, I just want to double the Framerate…

Is there another Device or a Switch or whatever available for this? 😉

for example what is this:

I have no experience and don’t know if this is the right to do a 1080p60 to 1080p120 Frameconversion by Doubling the Frames?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi :)
I have a Question:

Im searching for a Device which can convert a 1080p (60hz) Signal over HDMI on the Fly to 1080p with 120Hz (by doubling the Frames or even with „Interpolation“ if possible)…

can someone give me an Tipp, if there is a Solution for this available?

maybe a „Scaler“ or something like this?
Why the need for this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Goal for this is to convert a 1080p60 Signal from my StreamingDevice (AppleTV) to a 1080p120 Signal.

My Television has big Problems with Motionflow on 60p Signals! But with a native 120p Signal the Motionflow works without Problems!

I have done Tests with some 60p files, which I have software converted on a Computer to 120Hz! And these Files show absolutely no Motionflow Problems.

That is why I need a Device, which simply double the Framerate of the 1080p60 Output and then my Motionflow Issues are finally gone 😉

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The Goal for this is to convert a 1080p60 Signal from my StreamingDevice (AppleTV) to a 1080p120 Signal.
Can't your model of Apple TV device be configured to 'automatically' output the correct frequency that matches the source contents frame-rate?

Reactions: MDesigns

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This has nothing to do with my „Motionflow“-Problem 😉

I need simply a device which doubles the Framerate and then all my Problems are solved.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I need simply a device which doubles the Framerate and then all my Problems are solved.
If the sources you are playing were encoded at say, 23.976, 24.000 or 25.000 frames per second, forcing them to be displayed at 120Hz wont solve your motion-flow issue!

Ideally, content encoded at 23.976 fps should be displayed at 23.976Hz and content encoded at 24.000 fps should be displayed at 24.000Hz, etc... The devices output frequency should match the sources video frame-rate. So you need to have a playback device that can offer this level of functionality... This is the way!

·
Registered
782 Posts
If the sources you are playing were encoded at say, 23.976, 24.000 or 25.000 frames per second. Forcing them to be displayed at 120Hz wont solve your motion-flow issue!

Ideally, content encoded at 23.976 fps should be displayed at 23.976Hz and content encoded at 24.000 fps should be displayed at 24.000Hz... The devices output frequency should match the sources video frame-rate.... This is the way!
Thumbs up 👍 doubling 60hz to 120hz makes no sense when the video is already screwed with the 24hz to 60hz conversion in apple tv. Should setup apple tv to output original framerate so motionflow can work correctly. Motionflow probably does nothing to 120hz signal anyway, since it is already fluid enough.

Just to add @Christian1979 I also have a Sony tv with motionflow, and some of the internal apps are locked to 60hz and the motionflow cant do anything to the jerkiness of those. Changed to apple tv, setup to match frame rate and problems are gone!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s not my question to find a solution for matching content to the original Framerate!

In my Testing Case I have only 60Hz content. No other Framerates.

i just want to know if there is a device available to double the Output Framerate from 60 to 120?

·
Registered
782 Posts
It’s not my question to find a solution for matching content to the original Framerate!

In my Testing Case I have only 60Hz content. No other Framerates.

i just want to know if there is a device available to double the Output Framerate from 60 to 120?
May I ask what 60hz content you actually have(from apple tv) and what tv has problems with those?

I guess there are no such devices, since there normally is no need for that kind of feature. Motion interpolation to 120hz with video processors will probably be more popular in the future, when 120hz inputs get more popular with tvs and projectors. 120hz matches nicely to 24, 30 and 60hz material.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have done Tests with some 60p files, which I have software converted on a Computer to 120Hz! And these Files show absolutely no Motionflow Problems.
My guess is that the pc software has done somekind of motion interpolation(maybe from 24 to 120) to the file and that is why the motion then looks more fluid with 120hz. This wont happen with simply doubling the frames.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is at the moment just for a test!
No solution for all problems.

i just want to try something out, which I can’t explain, because my English isn’t perfect…
Don’t ask why, but I’m searching for a device that simply doubles the Framerate

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
This is at the moment just for a test!
No solution for all problems.

i just want to try something out, which I can’t explain, because my English isn’t perfect…
Don’t ask why, but I’m searching for a device that simply doubles the Framerate
If your current Apple TV playback device can't perform 'frame-rate/output frequency' matching, I strongly suggest that you buy a device that can, instead of wasting your money on products that will only ever offer your compromises and not solve your underlying issues!

Based on the information you have provided (which is not very detailed), you've been given good advice!

If you want better advice... Provide more detailed information about your media playback and display gear and the sources you are accessing!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like I said it’s irrelevant if I use an AppleTV or something other for my Test!

I only searching for a way to double the Framerate with an external HDMI Device

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Motion Interpolation on a 120hz TV can't do anything with a 120hz signal. Turn the motion Interpolation setting off, send 60hz to the tv, and the tv will double the frames for output without generating Interpolation artifacts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, let me say: I don’t need Motion Interpolation…

For my Test I just need a HDMI device, which doubles the Framerate of the Input and Output it over HDMI!

Is there a device for this available?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts