AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just did a search to find out what A/V gear had HDMI connectivity & found the following site that had a list of new gear that they said was announced at CEDIA (including some Sony & Sim 2 PJ's):

(Sorry, I couldn't post the link since I'm a new forum member. But it comes up if you do a yahoo search for HDMI)

Here is their list:

Panasonic projection TV: PT-53WXD63 (53-inch)

Panasonic plasma TVs (2): TH-42PX20 (42-inch) and TH-50PX20 (50-inch)

Panasonic LCD displays (2): TC-32LH1 (32-inch) and TC-22LH1 (22-inch)

Pioneer Eliteâ„¢ DVD Player: DV-59AVi

Pioneer PureVisionâ„¢ plasma TVs (4): PRO-1110HD (50-inch), PRO-910HD (43-inch), PDP-5040HD (50-inch) and PDP-4340HD (43-inch)

Pioneer Elite projection TVs (2): PRO-730HDI (64-inch) and PRO-530HDI (53-inch)

Pioneer Elite PureVision plasma monitors (2): PRO-1000HDI (50-inch) and PRO-800HDI (43-inch)

Sony projectors (3): VPL-HS3, VPL-HS20 and Qualia 004 (ships this winter)

Meridian DVD-A transport: G98

Meridian DVD-A controller: G91DH

Meridian DVD-A player: 800

SIM2 Grand Cinema projector: HT300 LINK

Interesting stuff,

John

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I believe the Immersive Hydra also has HDMI in (out?) on it. This info was just through other's comments, not directly from Tom Strade himself, but it's exciting to know.

-Jon

·
Registered
753 Posts
What is the difference between HDMI & HDCP. If I buy a projector today with HDCP will it be obsolete in a few years.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
HDCP is copy protection.

HDMI is an interface technology, much like DVI.

HDMI and DVI use HDCP to protect the content that is transmitted over it.

-Jon

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thank You

Is this the new standard?

What implications does this have for DVI owners?

Much appreciated

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thanks Michel

Maybe thats why Tact audio has not released the TCS2 :)

So for a projector all one would need is DVI HDCP.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi John,

TCS2... perhaps ;) I still hope to see it this year.

For projector, yes you're right HDMI is backward compatible with DVI and cable converters will be available, so normally even if your source is HDMI, you could in theory connect it to a projector with DVI/HDCP input via this passive converter (of course it will drop the audio part of HDMI). I think we can expect to see more and more HDMI compatible projector and video sources in the coming year.

Cheers,

Michel

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There are some important advances in HDMI over DVI, however:

- HDMI can officially transport 480i, where as DVI can not (offically - it can be done, from what I understand, but there is no accepted way to do this). This means that we can get digital, untouched video from the DVD player, and use excellent quality deinterlacers. This is not possible with DVI, as the DVD must be deinterlaced first (and we've seen how bad that can be -- Bravo D1...)

- HDMI can carry 10bpp data, where as DVI is limitted to 8bpp. This will hopefully become important in the future, when 1) neat scaling/oversampling/etc algorithms start to emerge, or 2) when people figure out that 8bpp (less than that, actually, since only 219 possible gradations out of 255 are used) isn't enough. DVI can do this, but only with dual link DVI.

- HDMI will support much longer cable lengths, with a smaller connector. Try fishing a DVI cable through conduit, and you'll see why that's important.

-Jon

·
Registered
588 Posts
One thing you didn't mention - they changed the HDCP spec for HDMI, and added several new features to it, calling it HDCP 1.1.

Although the new HDCP 1.1 spec claims backward compatibility with HDCP 1.0, it's unclear from reading it exactly what they are claiming will be compatible. For example, will a new DVD player with an HDMI interface (HDCP 1.1) expect to see an HDCP 1.1 device on the other end, or will it work with a DVI adapter cable and an HDCP 1.0 device?

It's unlikely there will be an upgrade from existing HDCP 1.0 devices to the new 1.1 standard, so I guess we will find the answers when these HDMI devices ship.

Welcome to the brave new world of copy protection!

More info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=299212

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Quote:
HDMI can carry 10bpp data, where as DVI is limitted to 8bpp.
I haven't seen this anywhere. Are you sure? (i.e., are you getting it directly from the spec?) What I am seeing, however, is that it can support a 4:2:2 component colorspace with 12 bits per component. While that still amounts to only 24 bits per pixel, it is actually a much more efficient use of bandwidth since we still get 12 bits for luminance at every pixel (not to mention it aligns well with DVD and HDTV).

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
According to page 24 of this spec,

http://www.hdmi.org/pdf/HDMISpecInfo...nalVersion.pdf

HDMI supports the following bit depths and color spaces:

--- RGB, 8 bits per component (220 levels per R, G, B)

--- YCbCr, 8 bits per component, 4:4:4 (220 levels for Y, 225 levels for Cb,Cr)

--- YCbCr, 10 bits per component, 4:2:2 (877 levels for Y, 892 levels for Cb,Cr)

--- YCbCr, 12 bits per component, 4:2:2 (3505 levels for Y, 3585 levels for Cb,Cr)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sorry, I did misstate 10bpp as RGB - should've been 10 bit/component.

But still, it's groovy, huh?

-Jon

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
I agree! Given that both DVD and HDTV use downsampled color signals, it really doesn't hurt for HDMI to do the same, and in return we get much more precision in luminance where it counts.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yes. I'm very much looking forward to increased depth of color. Banding is still an issue with the current DVD/DTV implementations, and I'd love to see 1) advanced algorithms or 2) increased depth from the source to help alleviate these issues.

I'm quite excited about the future with HDMI.

-Jon

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mfombellida
...you could in theory connect it to a projector with DVI/HDCP input via this passive converter (of course it will drop the audio part of HDMI)....

Michel
...and use it at DVI cable distances...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.