AVS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

I have the same issue with the sound from my Yamaha A3020. The problem is that the noise created by 2 HDD (7200rpm) connected to my HTPC near by.
I can't put them away, how can i isolate interference which they are created?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi all

I have the same issue with the sound from my Yamaha A3020. The problem is that the noise created by 2 HDD (7200rpm) connected to my HTPC near by.
I can't put them away, how can i isolate interference which they are created?
Enclose the hard drives in a metal case. Also move the power supply for your hard drives as far away as you can from the audio equipment. Put the computer and power supply for the hard drives on a different power strip. It's possible that changing the computer power supply from a single 12-volt rail to multiple 12-volt rails may fix problems. Try to separate AC, video, line level audio, and high level audio. Keep them about a foot or more apart. If all else fails, buy an AV receiver from a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am having the exact same issue as the OP. Connecting the HTPC's GPU HDMI cable to the receiver introduces buzzing noise into the speakers. There is more noise when the PC boots up and accesses the SSD, more noise when using the wireless keyboard/mouse.

PC has a 3 prong power cable. I have tried 2 different power supplies, and the problem is the same.
AVR is a Marantz SR8015, and only has a 2 prong power cable.
Power amp for the front L/R is a Mcintosh MC252 and has a 3 prong cable
I haven't tried any "cheater" plug. I am concerned about safety.

What's a safe way to resolve the problem ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Have you tried using the HDMI port on the Motherboard IO instead of the GPU? Do you still get this "noise" you speak of? I was reading your post in the "Amps/Processors" thread. Appears to me the culprit is your HTPC. Have you double checked how the Motherboard is secured in the case? Double check ALL the standoffs and screws. Also, have you re-seated your GPU (take it out and then plug it back in)? IF you still get this noise, take everything out of the PC case and benchtest it on a cardboard box with it connected to your AVR. You need to start eliminating components to pinpoint where this noise is coming from.

Toys

Reactions: madbrain

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Have you tried using the HDMI port on the Motherboard IO instead of the GPU? Do you still get this "noise" you speak of? I was reading your post in the "Amps/Processors" thread. Appears to me the culprit is your HTPC. Have you double checked how the Motherboard is secured in the case? Double check ALL the standoffs and screws. Also, have you re-seated your GPU (take it out and then plug it back in)? IF you still get this noise, take everything out of the PC case and benchtest it on a cardboard box with it connected to your AVR. You need to start eliminating components to pinpoint where this noise is coming from.
I just checked with the HDMI port on the motherboard. Same radio frequency noise. As soon as I unplug it from the receiver, it's gone.

I already checked all the standoffs Friday while swapping the PSU. Also already removed and reinserted the GPU (it's an Asus GT 1030). I have been building my own PCs for 28 years. I doubt it's the problem. But since I have another HTPC downstairs, I will try to swap them between rooms just to see if the issue is specific to one of them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just checked with the HDMI port on the motherboard. Same radio frequency noise. As soon as I unplug it from the receiver, it's gone.

I already checked all the standoffs Friday while swapping the PSU. Also already removed and reinserted the GPU (it's an Asus GT 1030). I have been building my own PCs for 28 years. I doubt it's the problem. But since I have another HTPC downstairs, I will try to swap them between rooms just to see if the issue is specific to one of them.
Let me know what you find here, I just installed my 3080 and have this same issue. It's coming out of just my subwoofers and is pretty loud so fairly annoying.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts