AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a new card for my pc. I tried two GT240's but could not get sound over HDMI. I have a separate sound card, not sure if that was part of the problem, but Gigabyte and Nvidia, could not help. So looking for some help on the next pick. How about ATI? This is for my HTPC. I feed this into my Yamaha receiver, then on to my projector. Thanks..........Brian

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to still use the sound card also for the other tv in the bedroom that I sometimes use, that is fed via DVI, and analog or optical to my Logitech z5500 sound system in the bedroom..........

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
AFAIK, the GT240 didn't have an onboard audio chip (or does it?).

The other way is to connect a SPDIF header into the video card if the manufacturer provided an input connector.

Nowadays, recommendations for HTPC video cards tend to lean more towards ATI especially when it comes to HD audio (over HDMI). ATI has left Nvidia far behind in that category; (don't know what Nvidia is doing in R&D).

What receiver do you have and what exactly are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yamaha vx-683. Need latest greatest sound and video out of my HTPC to me, lol. I have blue ray drive, installed also. So which ATI card is the best, with on board audio. Trying to stay under $200. No gaming just HTPC. Thanks....Brian

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr600 /forum/post/18175925

Yamaha vx-683. Need latest greatest sound and video out of my HTPC to me, lol. I have blue ray drive, installed also. So which ATI card is the best, with on board audio. Trying to stay under $200. No gaming just HTPC. Thanks....Brian

If your receiver can decode HD audio then the 5450 is the cheapest option at $35. Remember you need the right software too. Read the ATI 5000 series thread for details.

What speakers do you have? You are not going to get appreciable HD sound reproduction without decent speakers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it can decode HD audio and my speakers are Infinity speakers, new last year. Never had an ATI card before, looking for help picking out a good one. Thanks again............Brian

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr600 /forum/post/18177100

Yes it can decode HD audio and my speakers are Infinity speakers, new last year. Never had an ATI card before, looking for help picking out a good one. Thanks again............Brian

As mentioned above; the 5450 chipset is the cheapest option. I usually go by the price unless its got really bad reviews.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Couldn't really find a thread other than this that discusses PCI-e 2.0 backward compatability.

Presently my HTCP is a Biostar TA-690G AM2 M/B with ATI x1250 integrated. I am trying to replace with a discrete video card, and there is a PCI-e x16 (1.0?) slot free.

I am looking at the NVIDIA Series (PCI-e) GeForce GT 240- either DDR3 or DDR5 with either 512MB or 1024MB.

The specs on the website do not show backward comp from 2.0 to 1.x?

Are all 2.0 backward compatible to 1.x, or or is it vendor specific?

Can someone tell me if Palit cards are? If Palit is not can someone tell me which ones are. The specs are incomplete at the vendor web site.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
837 Posts
They all should be forward compatible. But I foundout that on my 939 abit board it wasn't compatible. It seems like the old 939 boards don't have enough power for my 5670 but you should be fine.

I'd suggest getting the 5570($70) or the 5670($100). The 5450 will work fine but if using to deinterlace 1080I (hd TV stream) onto 1080p it could struggle. I believe you need to turn off a couple features on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts