AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a new hdmi cable to connect my ps4 to my samsung plasma pn51f5300. Any suggestions? What cables are you using?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
It depends on the distance you need to go. If the TV is near your PS4, then these are nice at 6' or less:
6' Super Slim HDMI Cable

If you have a need for a 10 to 15 foot HDMI cable, then spend a bit more for the Redmere cables from Monoprice:
Redmere HDMI Cables

If running cables in-wall and it will be a tough run, then we should discuss it some more.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1522717/hdmi-help-plasma-tv#post_24487760

It depends on the distance you need to go. If the TV is near your PS4, then these are nice at 6' or less:
6' Super Slim HDMI Cable

If you have a need for a 10 to 15 foot HDMI cable, then spend a bit more for the Redmere cables from Monoprice:
Redmere HDMI Cables

If running cables in-wall and it will be a tough run, then we should discuss it some more.
How about this one?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Anytime we run into HDMI issues its almost always a cable issue.

We replace them with Perfect Path 1000 series and the issues go away-100% of the time.

The locking connector is a bit of a double edge sword-on one had its great as you have a connection that will never come loose

If you disconnect and connect often the locking nature can get a bit frustrating.

We have tried so many different cables over the years and nothing has come close to PPC.
http://www.perfectpath.com/products/ProductCatalog/tabid/869/CategoryID/2692/Default.aspx?c=High-Speed-HDMI%C2%AE-Cables-with-Locking-Connectors

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
I'm sure that HDMI cable will work fine. The downside to it would be the size of the cable being so thick will be heavy on the connections and pull at the gear some. Still, by the reviews, it will work just fine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1522717/hdmi-help-plasma-tv#post_24491617

I'm sure that HDMI cable will work fine. The downside to it would be the size of the cable being so thick will be heavy on the connections and pull at the gear some. Still, by the reviews, it will work just fine.
I recieve the mediabridge hdmi tomorrow. hdmi is all digital so it either works or it doesnt. Picture quality is all the same between expensive and cheap im assuming. Anyone ever test an expensive vs cheap hdmi and see a big quality difference?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1522717/hdmi-help-plasma-tv#post_24487819

Anytime we run into HDMI issues its almost always a cable issue.

We replace them with Perfect Path 1000 series and the issues go away-100% of the time.

The locking connector is a bit of a double edge sword-on one had its great as you have a connection that will never come loose

If you disconnect and connect often the locking nature can get a bit frustrating.

We have tried so many different cables over the years and nothing has come close to PPC.
http://www.perfectpath.com/products/ProductCatalog/tabid/869/CategoryID/2692/Default.aspx?c=High-Speed-HDMI%C2%AE-Cables-with-Locking-Connectors
Thank you. Im going to order one for my ps3. Its been using he same hdmi for 5 or so years now. Time to upgrade.

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
How much do they cost? I've used MediaBridge high speed hdmi cables in the past and they work just fine. I"m currently using Redmere cables because I needed the flexibility and the no strain on the connector end. I'd price a comparable MediaBridge/Monoprice/Blue Jeans cable and see. A lot of cables produced are more marketing hype than anything else. I'm sure the PPC's are fine cables but it all depends on what they're charging. There's an "M" brand of cable sold at BB that are really expensive but they don't perform any better than the ones I just mentioned.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1522717/hdmi-help-plasma-tv#post_24491754

How much do they cost? I've used MediaBridge high speed hdmi cables in the past and they work just fine. I"m currently using Redmere cables because I needed the flexibility and the no strain on the connector end. I'd price a comparable MediaBridge/Monoprice/Blue Jeans cable and see. A lot of cables produced are more marketing hype than anything else. I'm sure the PPC's are fine cables but it all depends on what they're charging. There's an "M" brand of cable sold at BB that are really expensive but they don't perform any better than the ones I just mentioned.

They're pretty inexpensive compared to some others.

The fact that no matter what the resolution, length, source, SSP or display they always work.

To me this is priceless.

PPC is a huge company that is the gold standard in the cable TV, and telecommunications business.

They are now a Belden company.
http://www.ppc-online.com/

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300  /t/1522717/hdmi-help-plasma-tv#post_24491647

Thank you. Im going to order one for my ps3. Its been using he same hdmi for 5 or so years now. Time to upgrade.

Why? Is the one you've had for 5 years no longer working?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23  /t/1522717/hdmi-help-plasma-tv#post_24493095

Why? Is the one you've had for 5 years no longer working?
It still works. Motion is a little blurry. Signal and sound cut out every now and then. Interference from plasma is also an issue

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
Interference from plasma is an issue?
It could just be a bad cable in which case any of the high speed cables I mentioned would work just fine.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
How does an HDMI cable induce a "fuzzy" image? I can understand data loss resulting in audio dropouts, but nothing that effects picture clarity.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23  /t/1522717/hdmi-help-plasma-tv#post_24493445

How does an HDMI cable induce a "fuzzy" image? I can understand data loss resulting in audio dropouts, but nothing that effects picture clarity.
I dont know. I didnt graduate from the university of hdmi! I know 1s and 0s. Digital blah blah blah. You have something to say then just say it!

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
A blurry image in a all digital connection is usually to blame on the resolution setting of the source. You will definitely want to check that the resolution of your source matches that of the display for best results.

It would certainly be somewhat unique if the HDMI cable is allowing the blurriness to manifest.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1522717/hdmi-help-plasma-tv#post_24493791

A blurry image in a all digital connection is usually to blame on the resolution setting of the source. You will definitely want to check that the resolution of your source matches that of the display for best results.

It would certainly be somewhat unique if the HDMI cable is allowing the blurriness to manifest.
Thats the thing. I tried another hdmi. No problem.

·
Registered
17,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300  /t/1522717/hdmi-help-plasma-tv/0_20#post_24493831

Thats the thing. I tried another hdmi. No problem.

Another HDMI cable or HDMI input on your tv? Take the cable that you think is causing the blurriness and try another HDMI input to test the input. Check the settings on your PS4. Connect another device using the same "blurry" HDMI cable and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts