AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mounting my lcd on the wall. When i drop the HDMI straight down in wall behind the tv it crosses over romex that is running horizontal in the wall. There is contact between the two cables at the point where they cross. I am not using conduit.

Is this safe and will it cause interference with my audo./video signal?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Try it out and see. HDMI is pretty much all or nothing. If it works, you're 100% good to go. If it doesn't, then you know you have problems, and interference may or may not have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The more perpendicular the crossing the better (less coupling). If they run parallel to each other then you have a much higher degree of coupling. I suspect you'll be fine.

A good test would be to have your AV system operating, then plug a vacuum cleaner to an outlet that is connected to the power feeding through that romex. Turn on the vacuum and see if your system exhibits any problems. If not, it should be quite stable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree, perpendicular is definitely better. I know you didn't ask specifically, but If it's not too late I'd recommend running a UL/CL3 rated cable for code/insurance purposes.

I don't see any reasons why there should be any safety concerns, but definitely do like the other guys recommend and try it out first.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info.

the hdmi is in wall rated. I hooked it up & everything seems to be ok. I will try the vacuum in an outlet to see if anything happens.

I was just worried because they are physically touching each other, but i think its going to be fine.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
The physical touching is irrelevant, it's just how close they are. Well, unless the romex insulation is bad or damaged or something, in which case you have more serious concerns in terms of not burning your house down...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts