AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking abuot running some HDMI cables for a multi-room setup. I can get a 50-ft 1.3b cable for $30 or so, and have both ends hanging out of the wall through some sort grommet (?).

Or, I can get HDMI wall plates which have internal / external HDMI jacks. But, that would mean at least 6 physical connections between the source and the TV (8 if i use a planned hdmi switch).

Wouldn't this would degrade the signal quality? At 340mhz (or whatever 1.4 uses) this would lead to unacceptably high error rates (sparklies, etc). Anyone knows what the specs allow for?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
There are too many variables in HDMI transmission to make any hard rules about cable length and connections, but generally the fewer connections, the better.

Just use mud box and cover plate with a hole to run the wire through if you don't want the extra connections.

Make sure you try the wire in the system to make sure it works before you put in in the wall. If you can install conduit such as smurf tubing and run the wire through that you can easily change the cable at a later date if you need to.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there should be attenuation per meter and per connection, and a recommended signal strength for 340mhz operation. At least ,that's what I've seen in other digital applications.

Thanks for the tips. What's "smurf tubing"?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_k /forum/post/16969567

Well, there should be attenuation per meter and per connection, and a recommended signal strength for 340mhz operation. At least ,that's what I've seen in other digital applications.

Thanks for the tips. What's "smurf tubing"?

That information may be available somewhere but it's not normally published by the manufacturers.

Smurf tubing is flexible plastic conduit. Google "smurf tubing".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts