AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just begun to assemble my new HT which includes the Sony VPL-VW50 (Pearl). I had a fine image using a Denon at 4801/480p with component cabling, but NO image via the HDMI cable at 480p or 1080i. The Denon is listed as HDMI v1.1 and the Pearl as v1.2. I had thought that there was backwards compatibilty of HDMI versions and that HDCP wasn't an issue with the Pearl. Has anyone experienced a similar problem with using a v1.1 source into the Pearl? If others have been successful in pairing these components I would have to think that I'd have to return the Pearl because of a defect in my unit. Thanks for any information that this forum can provide!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have you checked that the HDMI port is active on the Denon?

The denon I have will NOT output component and HDMI at the same time; there is a button on the front panel (replicated on the remote) to select output format that cycles between Component/DVI-HDMI RGB/DVI-HDMI YUV.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the buttons to switch between component and HDMI. This DVD player had previously been in the HDMI mode for viewing on an Infocus DLP set, using the 480p setting. We only tried component after unsuccessfully getting the Pearl to recognize HDMI. After the Pearl locked on the component feed we went back to HDMI, but with no success.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,520 Posts
Greetings,

I have my Anthem AVM50 which is HDMI v1.1 connected to my Pearl via HDMI with no issues.

I have a Blu-ray and HD DVD player as well as a HDMI v1.1 equipped DVD player and a high def. DVR/STB connected via HDMI as well. No problems.

Can you specifically describe what happens when you switch the Pearl from the component input to one of the HDMI inputs. What appears on screen?

Regards,

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've ruled out a defect in the Pearl, as the HDMI input worked flawlessly with the PS3 tonight. I'll try the Denon again tomorrow or Friday using the VP50 as an intermediate step. Thanks for everyone's input!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.