AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 42" Vizio 120hz 1080p that has 4 HDMI inputs, stereo out & optical out.

An Xbox 360 and Vizio bluray player hooked to the TV via HDMI.

From the TV, I use an optical cable to go to my Sony receiver. The receiver only has 2 stereo inputs and an optical. No video or anything. Its an older model.

When I play games or movies on the Xbox 360, everything sounds great. I almost have to turn everything down. But when I watch movies on the bluray player...everything is way too low. I have to crank the volume to max just to get a decent sound.

I have the televisions digital output setting to Dolby Digital. But it gives me an option for PCM as well. I've tried both and it doesn't seem to make much difference for the bluray player.

I also noticed that the display on the receiver says PCM when the Xbox 360 is on, and just Video when I have the bluray turned on.

What do I need to do to get the Bluray player sounding like a champ?

I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing, I've gotta crank up the volume to hear any dialogue.

Also I tried several different optical cables, different HDMI cables from the player to the tv. No difference.

When I hooked the bluray straight into the receiver, I played with the output settings to see if there would be any difference. Barely.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
So, it's not the TV. Do you have a pair of stereo cables that you can try to see if the problem is the player's digital output? I'd run them from the player to receiver and leave the TV out of the connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ha ha...funny thing. It doesn't have just RCA out. The bluray player only has component, hdmi and optical out. nice.

And of course...I have no component cables on hand.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
I'm fairly certain Vizio players have standard analog audio outputs. They're in the same cluster as the component video jacks. Composite video and stereo audio are stacked up just to the right of the component connectors.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This may not help you at all but....

I have a ps3 connected to my ht - if I am playing a game, I keep the volume at -40 (or lower) and it's fine, more than loud enough for me.

If I stick a bluray movie in, the volume needs to be at -15 (or higher) to get decent dialogue levels.

Games at -15 blow me out of my seat

Bottom line, it could be just the way the soundtrack is mastered.....

My $0.02

·
Registered
5,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsuGodhand /forum/post/18281090

I have a 42" Vizio 120hz 1080p that has 4 HDMI inputs, stereo out & optical out.

An Xbox 360 and Vizio bluray player hooked to the TV via HDMI.

From the TV, I use an optical cable to go to my Sony receiver. The receiver only has 2 stereo inputs and an optical. No video or anything. Its an older model.

When I play games or movies on the Xbox 360, everything sounds great. I almost have to turn everything down. But when I watch movies on the bluray player...everything is way too low. I have to crank the volume to max just to get a decent sound.

I have the televisions digital output setting to Dolby Digital. But it gives me an option for PCM as well. I've tried both and it doesn't seem to make much difference for the bluray player.

I also noticed that the display on the receiver says PCM when the Xbox 360 is on, and just Video when I have the bluray turned on.

What do I need to do to get the Bluray player sounding like a champ?

I appreciate any input.

Have you calibrated all your speakers to 75 dB SPL using whatever test tones the AVR provides?

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard /forum/post/18286725

I have a ps3 connected to my ht - if I am playing a game, I keep the volume at -40 (or lower) and it's fine, more than loud enough for me.

If I stick a bluray movie in, the volume needs to be at -15 (or higher) to get decent dialogue levels.

My $0.02

+1 here also, and this is same with my xbox 360 (games at -40 to -35 and DVD movies at -20 to -10).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard /forum/post/18286725

My $0.02
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18287241

+1 here also, and this is same with my xbox 360 (games at -40 to -35 and DVD movies at -20 to -10).

DVDs/BDs are mastered to a standard. Games are not. It is not surprising that games are louder than movies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18287201

Have you calibrated all your speakers to 75 dB SPL using whatever test tones the AVR provides?

I've calibrated as best I could using the manual that came with the receiver. Had to go online and download a PDF. I'm not 100% confident though in my ability to read and comprehend stereo instructions.

The receiver is about 8 or so years old I think...so it may just be it can't handle the digital output from the bluray player. I got it way before bluray was ever released.

I still need to try just the stereo output. I looked at it again and saw that they did in fact group the standard RCA on top of the component inputs on the bluray player. At first glance I didn't see the yellow vid input. So thanks for mentioning that BIslander. I wouldn't have looked again otherwise.

I will try that tonight and see if its any better. If it is...I'll stick with that for now until I can afford a better receiver. I won't settle on it though...I like that extra oomph while watching movies.

I'll also post my receiver model # when I get home from work tonight in case anyone has the same one and had similar issues.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsuGodhand /forum/post/18291737

I'll also post my receiver model # when I get home from work tonight in case anyone has the same one and had similar issues.

It's not likely a receiver issue. You get perfectly fine audio from other sources. It's definitely not the TV, since removing it from the audio chain didn't make a difference. So, it's likely either the output of the player or simply the difference in how games and movie discs are mastered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got it figured out I think. Still have to crank the volume a little, but not as much. And it looks like its actually decoding the audio properly now.

I had to set the bluray player to bitstream legacy instead of pcm.

Still not quite where I want it, but good enough for now I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts