AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit new to all this so please let me know if you need more information to help answer this question I have regarding my new setup. The HDtv that I am looking to purchase has the following input/output connections:

Inputs

RF (F Connector for internal tuner): 1

HDMI with HDCP: 3

Analog Stereo Audio for HDMI Inputs: 1

Component YPbPr plus Stereo Audio: 2

Composite Video: 2

S-Video plus Stereo Audio: 1

Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: 1

Service Port: 0

Outputs

Analog Audio out (RCA): 1

5.1 SPDIF Digital Optical Audio: 1

I am wondering would I still be able to get 5.1 sound from the tv/HDcablebox/ps3 and other devices if the receiver I had only had 1 of each analog/optical/coaxial inputs and 1 of each composite/component/HDMI outputs. Will a setup with these output/input combos work? What is the advantage of having HDMI inputs on the reciever? If I need to provide more info please let me know. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently purchased a Sony HT-7200DH HTIB based mainly on it's ability to handle audio over HDMI making hook-up VERY easy. It has three HDMI inputs. My, also new PS3, connects via one, the included (upscaling to 1080p) connects to the second, and when I upgrade to a HD DirecTV DVR I'll use the third HDMI for it. I only need one (of the two) HDMI inputs on my Vizio 1080p TV as switching is done in the receiver. To get Off the Air 5.1 from local stations I connect the TV's optical out to one of the two 7200's optical ins. The second "in" now comes from my current DirecTV receiver.

For me there is LARGE BENEFIT in not having a rat's nest of cables behind my gear. Blu-ray's with 5.1 DTS-HD are AWESOME from the PS3 thru the 7200DH. My treat tonight will be watching "Master and Commander" while my digestion is aided by vibrations from it's thundering naval battle scenes.

Back to answer your question ... Yes, if you use the digital audio connections you'll get the 5.1 coming from the component. The receiver will need the inputs to handle them.

My last 5.1 HTIB, bought on close-out bargain impulse, sounded great with DVD's thru it's built-in player but I later discovered it ONLY had one analog stereo input. ARGH! Boy! was I DUMB! Glad to see you're not going to emulate that move!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I am wondering would I still be able to get 5.1 sound from the tv/HDcablebox/ps3 and other devices if the receiver I had only had 1 of each analog/optical/coaxial inputs and 1 of each composite/component/HDMI outputs. Most TVs will only output 5.1 sound from the 5.1 SPDIF Digital Optical Audio Out when using the TV tuner. Therefore you would not get 5.1 sound for a PS3 or HD cablebox by running an optical from the TV to a receiver. You need a receiver with enough inputs to connect everything to the receiver and then run one HDMI cable to the TV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts