AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that I hope someone here can answer. My problem is that in my living room I only have component inputs on my older HDTV. I currently use a 4 port component AV selector/switchbox in my living room to connect my devices to my TV, but since I have just added a 5th device, I want to get a new selector/switchbox. All my devices have HDMI outputs, and I know that is the direction the industry is heading, so I want to purchase an HDMI switchbox and not put more money into component if I don't have to.

So, the question is, does any device other than a TV have HDMI inputs? I can see myself buying a blu-ray player, DVD upscaling player, etc if it has HDMI inputs where I could hook everything into that device via my switchbox, then hook the new device via component into my TV. Buying a new TV isn't an option at the moment (I just bought one, but that is not where I want all these devices at). Can anyone let me know if HDMI inputs can be found on anything other than a TV? I've looked, but can't find a Blu-Ray or DVD player that has HDMI in's, only out's.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
In general, consumer devices, of any sort, will not output component from an HDMI input. If you are not going to change your display for one with an HDMI input, you had best stick to component all the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. So if I read you correctly, even if there was a blu-ray player or something that did have an HDMI input, and I chained my devices into it, I wouldn't be able to output from the blu-ray into my TV via component.

My interest is piqued, though. Is there a consumer device other than a new display that even has HDMI inputs?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluesman /forum/post/14165120

Ok, thanks. So if I read you correctly, even if there was a blu-ray player or something that did have an HDMI input, and I chained my devices into it, I wouldn't be able to output from the blu-ray into my TV via component.

My interest is piqued, though. Is there a consumer device other than a new display that even has HDMI inputs?

Thanks,

John

afaik, only hdmi switchers . and the gefentv personal hd recorder (and other gefen products). nothing you could use currently, afaik.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:

Most AVRs and AV processors.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
guess i forgot about those.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
You have TV's, some PC video cards, most new receivers, high end audio processors, and switch box type devices. That is what currently has HDMI inputs.

I believe there are prototype DVR's with an HDMI input (basically appears to decode the HDMI back into a component signal at 1080i), but nothing available for purchase, or announced as available anytime soon.

The HDMI standard does not yet allow for HDMI inputs on DVR's and items like the Slingbox because, you are not supposed to be able to record a 1080p transmission (the limit is up to 1080i). So some prototypes just force the convert of 1080p to 1080i, but studios still don't like that because a hacker may be able to hack the boxes and record 1080p devices. Slingbox Pro even has a HDMI port, but it doesn't work. You can only by a dongle that lets you convert 1080i component to HMDI and plug in that way, no direct HDMI connection is allowed (yet).

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

Quote:

The ones that do (AVRS, Pre/Pros, switchers) don't do digital-to-analog conversion. You won't get component output from an HDMI input. There may be standalone devices on the market for this (I'm not aware of any), but because HDMI implements HDCP encryption it's likely that many signals wouldn't be passed.

I personally have never seen an HDMI source device with an input.

I would suggest that you stick with all-component with your component-only TV. Cobble together a cheap 1x2 switcher to pair your two least-used devices on one of the 4x1's inputs for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input (pun intended) guys. Both wnorris and rdclark - your comments make perfect sense, so I understand why I'm probably not going to be able to find what I'm looking for. I'll probably just go with rdclark's suggestion and just cobble together some component switchboxes. Thanks!

-John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts