AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is where I should post this topic, but here it goes.

I have a 50" Samsung DLP, TWC HDDVR, and a Denon AVR receiver (no hdmi).

I'm using component cables to connect everything. If I switched my cables for HDMI cables (and bought a new Denon receiver that has HDMI outputs), would the picture and sound quality be better?

This wouldn't be an easy task. Currently, I have cables that are through the wall, so I will need extra long HDMI cables and $$$ for a new receiver.

Is the picture quality that much better?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Second question...

Then why is HDMI such a big deal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 42" Panasonic plasma 768P with the SA8300HD DVR box. I have tried both component and HDMI, and to tell you the truth I like component better. I had some audio issues periodically with the HDMI, and the video quality was no better, even though I wanted it to be after spending money for an HDMI cable. Luckily, I bought at Monoprice and not CC or BB. YMMV.

John

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratch /forum/post/0

Second question...

Then why is HDMI such a big deal?

Convenience (single connector cable) and on some flat panels it might be marginally better than component. The studios also like it cause everything is transmitted digitally - which can be better controlled (anti piracy) than the analog signal via component.

·
Registered
857 Posts

Quote:

I don't know if this is where I should post this topic, but here it goes.

I have a 50" Samsung DLP, TWC HDDVR, and a Denon AVR receiver (no hdmi).

I'm using component cables to connect everything. If I switched my cables for HDMI cables (and bought a new Denon receiver that has HDMI outputs), would the picture and sound quality be better?

This wouldn't be an easy task. Currently, I have cables that are through the wall, so I will need extra long HDMI cables and $$$ for a new receiver.

Is the picture quality that much better?

If you are happy with your current set-up,leave it alone.

Even in a best-case scenario,it's a slight picture improvement and some prefer the component picture anyway.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now you've got my attention... Can broadcasting companies control your dvr?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:

Now you've got my attention... Can broadcasting companies control your dvr?

In the near future yes they can and even if you try to get around it they can automatically downgrade the video. Go to wikipedia and search for "Broadcast Flag", I would post the link here if I could but I need 5 pts.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
HDMI is digital and encripted. As a result the studios like it because it can not be copied. Because of the encription protocols, it can be a little problematic however. It has no quality differences over component. However because of coping concerns Hi Def DVD players only send 1080p over HDMI (only 1080i over component) so if you have a Hi Def DVD player there is some quality advantaged to HDMI.

Rick R

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have two HR10-250 receivers connected to a DLP TV. One is via HDMI, the other via component. Separately or side by side, I cannot detect a difference.

(One of the HR10s is an older original example and is HDMI defective.)

You could resolve your A/V quandry by connecting the HDMI (or component) cable directly from the HD receiver to the TV and running only separate audio through the Denon. You can program the HD remote to control the Denon volume and muting, as well as the HD receiver and TV on-off. See the Set-up menu.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
HDMI offers digital audio in its cable and also allows HDCP material to be viewed. These are two big differences of component video and HDMI. DIRECTV gives away free HDMI interconnects for its H20 and their HD DVR receivers they believe in it so much. For seeing if the picture quality in HDMI is better than component there is info on www.hdmi.com on that, here is one citing from that URL:

Q. What are the advantages of HDMI over existing analog interfaces such as composite, S-Video and component video?

Quality: HDMI transfers uncompressed digital audio and video for the highest, crispest image quality.

All-Digital: HDMI ensures an all-digital rendering of video without the losses associated with analog interfaces and their unnecessary digital-to-analog conversions.

Low-cost: HDMI provides the quality and functionality of a digital interface while also supporting uncompressed video formats in a simple, cost-effective manner.

Audio: HDMI supports multiple audio formats, from standard stereo to multi-channel surround-sound.

Ease-of-use: HDMI combines video and multi-channel audio into a single cable, eliminating the cost, complexity, and confusion of multiple cables currently used in A/V systems.

Intelligence: HDMI supports two-way communication between the video source (such as a DVD player) and the DTV, enabling new functionality such as automatic configuration and one-touch play.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy /forum/post/0

For seeing if the picture quality in HDMI is better than component there is info on www.hdmi.com on that, here is one citing from that URL....

Nothing more than marketing spin.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/0

Nothing more than marketing spin.

Is it? What proof is there that Component Video is better than HDMI cables?

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:

I think HDMI or DVI looks a bit better but I also know lots of people who don't see a difference. If a person doesn't see a difference than who cares? It's really in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

Quote:

I'd have to agree with Ken, it's a site run by the HDMI Founders, of course it's going to claim HDMI is better then component.

What we need is unbiased third party testing that shows which if any format is superior.

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
In theory, "keeping it digital" as much as possible is good thing. In this case however few poeple if any have noticed any visible improvement when switching between component and HDMI.

For some reason my cable box has more overscan with HDMI than with component. This is annoying because I'd think "keeping it digital" with HDMI would mean a digital display would display pixel-for-pixel like it does through the DVI connection from my HTPC.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.