AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is a better place to post this please let me know.

I've been having issues ever since my system was installed with the HDMI from certain devices cutting out intermittently. It's a bit of a unique setup;

Device-->HDMI Extender--->AVR--->HDMI Extender--->TV

The device is an Xbox One X I use for 4k movies and gaming
The extenders are both REAL4K™ optical extenders ( http://www.inneos.com/products/aoc-products/real4k-extenders/ ) and about 20-30 ft runs.
Denon: Denon AVR-X6500H
TV is a Sony x950g

What's most frustrating is that it will work for days/weeks/even months at a time then have issues for days/weeks/months making the devices unusable, until it resolves itself. It's nearly impossible to "cause" to happen- it just happens randomly.

The inneos folks have been great, changed firmware, multiple testing scenarios continues not to work. All other devices work fine from the AVR but they aren't going through 2 jumps of an extender. Neither of the extenders are showing any issues at the units (error colors).

I've tried adding a Key Digital HDMI stripper, that helped a bit but doesn't fully resolve it either.

Is there something about the setup that could be causing this? It's getting to the point where I may move the setup from the basement to the living room to make the thing work.

Any thoughts/suggestions things I could try?

·
Registered
16,340 Posts
If there is a better place to post this please let me know.

I've been having issues ever since my system was installed with the HDMI from certain devices cutting out intermittently. It's a bit of a unique setup;

Device-->HDMI Extender--->AVR--->HDMI Extender--->TV

The device is an Xbox One X I use for 4k movies and gaming
The extenders are both REAL4K™ optical extenders ( http://www.inneos.com/products/aoc-products/real4k-extenders/ ) and about 20-30 ft runs.
Denon: Denon AVR-X6500H
TV is a Sony x950g

What's most frustrating is that it will work for days/weeks/even months at a time then have issues for days/weeks/months making the devices unusable, until it resolves itself. It's nearly impossible to "cause" to happen- it just happens randomly.

The inneos folks have been great, changed firmware, multiple testing scenarios continues not to work. All other devices work fine from the AVR but they aren't going through 2 jumps of an extender. Neither of the extenders are showing any issues at the units (error colors).

I've tried adding a Key Digital HDMI stripper, that helped a bit but doesn't fully resolve it either.

Is there something about the setup that could be causing this? It's getting to the point where I may move the setup from the basement to the living room to make the thing work.

Any thoughts/suggestions things I could try?

Take the extenders out of the chain and try device -> avr -> tv. The fewer "breaks" in the HDMI chain the better. If your runs are under 25' use Premium High Speed HDMI cables (with the QR label). 4k and 4k HDR is really finicky with its connections so it's best to use a single cable, source to sink with no wall plates, extenders, adapters, etc in-between. And make sure there are no sharp, 90 degree bends in the run because a sharp bend radius can affect signal propagation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the extenders out of the chain and try device -> avr -> tv. The fewer "breaks" in the HDMI chain the better. If your runs are under 25' use Premium High Speed HDMI cables (with the QR label). 4k and 4k HDR is really finicky with its connections so it's best to use a single cable, source to sink with no wall plates, extenders, adapters, etc in-between. And make sure there are no sharp, 90 degree bends in the run because a sharp bend radius can affect signal propagation.
Thanks Otto, so are the extenders just a gimmick or is HDMI so finicky it really all depends on the particular setup?

Really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
16,340 Posts
Thanks Otto, so are the extenders just a gimmick or is HDMI so finicky it really all depends on the particular setup?

Really appreciate the help.

Extenders can and do help, but not in all cases. Generally speaking, the longer your run is the more apt you are to have issues with 4k HDR, and if you put another device in-between, the connection can become iffy. HD (1080) is not as finicky so extenders, wall plates, etc are not so much of an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts