AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to setup a centralized & virtual (Xen or ESXi) server for all of my htpc and pc needs around our home. It's the concept of “Physicalizing” VMs as Desktops.

It's been done (here & here )

For my cable runs I have two cat6 and one coax drop in two rooms (master bed & home theater), one cat6 and one coax drop in three rooms (kids rooms), and only two cat6 drops in the office and garage. This was setup partly on budget constraints and not doing enough research ahead of time (fail) but I still think I can make it work with a mix of hardware.

End goal: be able to install a HD monitor in any of the rooms and access any of the sources from the central sever (e.g htpc, a win7 desktop, apple tv, centos server, etc.) with support for both 1080p AND 1920x1200 (WUXGA) resolutions.

Obviously this requires a few things to be extended to each room: HDMI, USB (keyboard & mouse, with possibility of external storage), IR (to control the source switching).

So far the only close solution that would work in each room is the Genfen EXT-HDKVM-LAN (here) but holy shnikes is it expensive!

Other options would be sending the hdmi and ir over cat6 or coax and the USB over cat6. I'll need some sort of USB matrix to make the keyboard and mouse useable when changing sources.

This setup will be incremental for budgetary reasons. I plan on starting with two sources: htpc and a desktop environment (most likely win7)

Questions:
1. Anyone have suggestions or ideas that I'm not considering? Basically how else can I do this?
2. Are there other companies that make HDMI KVMs?
3. I would really like support for 1920x1200 but I've found that most extenders do not support this. Maybe I should just stick to 1080p. In that case should I look into HDBaseT solutions?

This post is really for my documentation purposes so I can remember what I am trying to accomplish but inputs from the community would be awesome!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not the most proficient AV guy but I have found a few things. LINDY makes a cheaper HDMI KVM Switch for 125 bucks, you could visit their website or find them on amazon. I would take a look at it, although of course it doesn't have all the features that the 800 dollar one has. They probably have USB over Cat6 as well. Hope the project goes well! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not the most proficient AV guy but I have found a few things. LINDY makes a cheaper HDMI KVM Switch for 125 bucks, you could visit their website or find them on amazon. I would take a look at it, although of course it doesn't have all the features that the 800 dollar one has. They probably have USB over Cat6 as well. Hope the project goes well! :)
Thanks for the reply. I will look into LINDY and report back!

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
How about a Crestron DM-MD8x8 switcher?

Talk about expensive!!!

But, it will do what you want. HDMI distribution with control over a single cat-6 cable to multiple displays from multiple sources with USB capabilities.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It is likely going to be far more cost effective to separate the HD distribution and IR control out from the USB connectivity/PC control as currently your requirement is served by too few options.

Four centralised HD (HDMI) Sources can be distributed to 5 Zones over a single CAT6 (per Zone) using HDBT for approx. $3.4K with discrete IR control of the Sources - [URL]http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_Matrix_HDbaseT_HD4xSTPMX_over%20CAT6.html[/URL]

Managing your audio requirements can be tricky if you are sending your Sources to both a multi-channel ‘Theatre’ and Stereo only Zones!

Do you actually need KVM control of each PC from every Zone –as an alternative could a tablet running iRule MCE controller offer you enough control to meet your requirements for media playback?

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts