AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the HDMI Lip Sync is enabled it applies a preset delay, in my case it is 32ms. But what speakers is this delay applied to?

A) Just the Center Speaker

B) All the Front Speakers only (Mains, Center, Sub)

C) All Speakers, including Rear - 7.1

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/17031998

I haven't tested it, but it would be less than useless if it didn't apply to all speakers.

I always thought of "lip sync" as referred to dialog and most if not all (in some material) comes from the center channel. Confusing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/17031998

I haven't tested it, but it would be less than useless if it didn't apply to all speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 /forum/post/17035936

I always thought of "lip sync" as referred to dialog and most if not all (in some material) comes from the center channel. Confusing.

Also, what do you think if I change the speaker distance in the setup to 30ft. - will that speed up the audio?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Maybe, but you might cause other problems, particularly with the phase of the bass. You can try it. I think the correct method is to add the following value to all your speaker distances:

30-greatest_speaker_distance

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/17048043

Maybe, but you might cause other problems, particularly with the phase of the bass. You can try it. I think the correct method is to add the following value to all your speaker distances:

30-greatest_speaker_distance

Thank you for your help.

OK,my center channel is 12ft away, the farthest speaker. So, I should add 18ft to all speakers including the subs. (7.1) Right?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
That's the 30' trick as I understand it.

The problem with the sub distance is that Audyssey adjusts it to get the phase of the bass right at the listening position. That's why subwoofer distances are sometimes off from the distance measured with a tape measure. If your bass sounds worse after you do this, you may need to tweak the phase knob on your sub (if it has one) or adjust the distance until the bass sounds as good as it did before.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/17049778

That's the 30' trick as I understand it.

The problem with the sub distance is that Audyssey adjusts it to get the phase of the bass right at the listening position. That's why subwoofer distances are sometimes off from the distance measured with a tape measure. If your bass sounds worse after you do this, you may need to tweak the phase knob on your sub (if it has one) or adjust the distance until the bass sounds as good as it did before.

Thanks.

I just finished watching "Race to Witch Mountain" and the bass sounded great. I have 2 Velodyne DD-15's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts