AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been Googling and searching the forum up and down and not finding this, so hoping maybe this helps me and others in the future...

I am attempting to connect my Macbook Pro Retina to my Samsung HU8550 (4K LCD TV) via HDMI. The connection is quite simple; HDMI cable on the out port to the HDMI1 input on my TV.

I get a picture and get sound as well, but the picture is extremely choppy. When watching video full screen (e.g., YouTube), it is as if I am missing 75% of the frames. It's laggy to the point where it gives me a headache to watch. Audio does not display any lag at all.

The problem seems slightly less in-your-face if I am not watching full screen video, but even then, you'll see the cursor try to "catch up" -- there is definitely lag there.

I've tried another MB Pro and the problem is exactly the same, meaning the problem is either in (a) how I am connecting to the TV, (b) the HDMI cable I am using, or (c) the TV / TV settings, or maybe even (d) inappropriate Macbook Pro settings.

To the extent it matters, I am using a basic HDMI cable from Amazon, and I am mirroring screens scaled as best fits the Apple.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
Can you set the Samsung input to PC or something like that? We've connected a MBP and MB Air via HDMI to our tv and it has been fine (our tv is not 4k but that doesn't interest me at this point in time). You also might want to check what the MBP is sending to the tv. 4k is usually a scaling feature on tv's and the received signal may be the problem. You should also be using high speed hdmi cables, not standard.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm also having the same problem. It stutters or jutters when I try to watch Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo or any video. The audio is coming through flawlessly but the video is choppy.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm using HDMI from my Macbook Pro to the TV. Specs are below.

Samsung 40-inch 4k UHD TV
Model #: UN40JU6500FXZA LED 4K TV

Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2014
OS X Yosemite
Processor 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Thanks in advance,

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts