AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I have been looking into a HMDI Matrix so that I can take my DirectTV DVR and my DVD player routed to any of 4 TV's

Here is a problem I am having:

One TV has a max setting of 1080i

One TV has a max setting of 720p

and the New one I am going to buy will have 1080p

Now the only way I see to be able to have the DirectTV signal feed all three TV's would be to degrade the signal down to 720p, which would make the NEW TV (60+ inches) surely not look as good as it would in 1080p

Is there anything that takes the signal and changes it? Take 1080p and make 720p so that TV will not lower the setting of the others?

A lot of these matrix boxes I look at are nice but all require the sources to be the lowest demonation for any of the outputs

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Many TV's will take a higher resolution and down-convert to the resolution of the TV (with the possible exception of a 1080p source). You might check your TVs to see if they can do that. If so you just send the higher resolution to all the TVs.

1080p is probably not that much of a concern for you since usually only a Blu Ray player outputs that.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Unless a scaler is built into the HDMI matrix, there is no way around this. Thanks HDMI!

·
Registered
253 Posts
You could use a component switcher with some baluns for the runs and then have a macro set on your control to set the boxes output to match the TVs capability. Just a thought, not sure how complicated that would be.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C /forum/post/17002672

Unless a scaler is built into the HDMI matrix, there is no way around this. Thanks HDMI!

The problem is not related to HDMI particularly. No single cable can send more than one signal resolution at a time, whether it's HDMI or component or optical.

·
Registered
253 Posts
 This product looks like it might work for ya. Nded can tell you more if he's around

Quote:
Each device is installed using 1 piece of UTP or STP cable. AV signals are transmitted digitally over the CAT5/6/7 cable without any signal loss. The integrated Scaler function allows different input and output resolutions up to 2048x2048 (different output displays can be at different resolutions). The IR send/receive function can be used to remotely control the HDMI source device from any receiver.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/17001365

Many TV's will take a higher resolution and down-convert to the resolution of the TV (with the possible exception of a 1080p source). You might check your TVs to see if they can do that. If so you just send the higher resolution to all the TVs.

1080p is probably not that much of a concern for you since usually only a Blu Ray player outputs that.

Bingo !

Most 720p TV's take 1080i.

Just feed all the TV's 1080i from the DVR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts