AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a question that would best be answered here. I'm looking for a HDMI matrix switch. One that is active, obviously. My scenario is like this. I have a Tivo Roamio Pro, an Xbox One, a PS4, a Wii U (possibly soon), a Chromecast, and a PC. It looks like I will have at least 5 or 6 sources connected to the switch. I am on a bit of budget I would prefer to stay under $100 but wouldn't mind spending $150 if it's worth it. I will be connecting the switch to my 64F8500 and my 60HU8550 which is nearby in the home office. I plan on running a 50 foot HDMI cable from the switch to my HU8550. Googling and Amazon hasn't really gotten me anywhere finding this, but I know AVS will. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're hesitant to buy something like the one you linked? Would a budget of $150-200 make any difference or does it not matter? I'm just looking for a switch thats reliable, not something crazy with 4K 4:4:4 60hz (not that I think such a switch exists). Thanks for the link though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
define reliable.
How often does it need to be power cycled to function properly? How well does it integrate with other control systems? How well does it play with all other manufacturers interpretations of color space and HDCP standards? How fast will it switch between sources. What effect does switching sources have on the other display? Is it compliant with ARC and CEC? Is the switch generating it's own HDCP keys, or is is counting on having multiple to be passed through from the source device?
So many stumbling blocks with HDMI, it's almost impossible to predict the behavior of a piece of equipment until you try in your real world setup.
If you can make do with a 4x2 I would be surprised if this wouldn't work well for you.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2

Reactions: Hiya Buddy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just looking for a way to use my second tv without having to lug consoles between rooms. I mean if I have to disconnect the thing and reconnect the thing, then by all means I won't be screaming at it because I spent less than $100 for the unit. In most cases the Chromecast will spend most if not all of it's time hooked up to the 64F8500. The PC will be hooked directly to the 60HU8550 because of 4:4:4 color at 4k/60hz. So I could get away with 4x2 if it would work out better than the 6x2? In the end it's mainly for gaming not so much for video content. For example the Xbox would be running on the F8500 while I would want to play PS4 on the HU8550 or vice-versa.The only thing that concerns me on how the unit will perform is going to be my Tivo Roamio Pro. If it's better to leave the Tivo connected to the F8500 then thats fine I don't plan on doing too much broadcast TV watching on my HU8550. As you can tell I'm a noob with home theater tech, so ARC and CEC don't really apply in my case since I'm remotely aware of what they are. To answer your other questions of course I'll have to take a day to test each console/device without connecting to the matrix switch and then connecting to the switch to see how it works out. Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.