AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've been here, so apologies in advance if this has been asked before. I chose to go with a 720p 42" plasma, figuring I wouldn't notice much difference in PQ compared to 1080p as long as my face isn't right up to the screen. But now I'm wondering, is it worth buying the HDMI connection for a 720p set?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you mean buy "buying an HDMI connection". Do you mean buying an HDMI cable? If so, it depends somewhat on what you intend to watch/connect to the TV. If it's just an HD cable box/satellite receiver, component will handle 720p just fine. If it's an "upscaling" DVD player or blu-ray player, HDMI may be a better option, since some 720p TVs/monitors scale up from 480i/p pretty well, but some others do better by downscaling a 1080p resolution, which HDMI handles (a lot of players lock component connections into 1080i or below resolutions). A lot depends on the video processor that is in the TV.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
A point to add to a Component vs HDMI discussion is that by using component you are usually introducing an extra Digtal to Analog and then Analog to Digital cycle. Another factor is what your signal source is capable of. If you have a "720p Plasma", it is likely not really 720p, but rather a 768 x 1366 display. That means that it is not native to EITHER 720p or 1080i. If that is the case, you are usually better off feeding the set with the native scan rate of the program you are watching. That way there is only one resolution conversion - the one done by the TV.

Another point: Don't fall for the expensive HDMI cable trap (propagated by your local Brick & Morter store). Cables by AVS sponsors Monoprice or Blue Jeans cable work just as well as the M****er brand and cost an awful lot less!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. My reason for asking about the HDMI cable was because of the ridiculous pricing on them in the first place.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/14170139

Not everybody has riciculous prices for HDMI cables. Try Monoprice .

(I am not affiliated with Monoprice except as a satisfied customer.)

As is everyone who deals with them! $6.00 should set you up unless you need a long one, that might double the price. Fast and cheap shipping, good service.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 /forum/post/14171095

As is everyone who deals with them! $6.00 should set you up unless you need a long one, that might double the price. Fast and cheap shipping, good service.

Also a AVS Forum sponsor! (Blue Jeans Cable is another option.) See the top of this or any AVS Forum page for links.

Dana

1 - 7 of 7 Posts