AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this article, HDMI will be possible for the Xbox 360.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1803

Here's the quote:
"The Xbox 360 was hooked up to a Samsung DLP rear projection TV via component video. It’s a shame that it wasn’t connected via HDMI, but the Microsoft representative assured me that the 360 can output over HDMI, but that there isn’t a cable available at present."

So maybe this upcoming announcement is Microsoft announcing that the 360 will have an HD-DVD drive? Could it be that Toshiba is hedging it's bets that if Microsoft can afford to pu in HD-DVD drives, that it'll gain a needed foothold in the HD-DVD/BR war?

I think if I was Toshiba, I'd offer to supply Microsoft with the drives, and in turn help solidify the HD-DVD position in the marketplace.

·
Registered
270 Posts
When questioned about HDMI, Todd Holmdahl said:

Quote:
Xbox 360 will support HD component video output, which is compatible with nearly every HD-ready TV on the market today. We’re poised to hit the sweet spot of the HD market at launch and as the market matures, and we will provide an HDMI for our customers when it makes sense. The reality is, you don’t need HDMI for HD gaming.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocmir
When questioned about HDMI, Todd Holmdahl said:
The problem that could arise with HD over component though is HDCP. If HD-DVD is added, but Hollywood insist that their movies can only be outputed in HD over HDCP outputs, then there's a chance that the HD movie would get downrezed over component output. That could cause major confusion and headaches for comsumers that lack HDCP inputs on their sets, and then come back on Microsoft.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocmir
Xbox 360 will support HD component video output, which is compatible with nearly every HD-ready TV on the market today. We’re poised to hit the sweet spot of the HD market at launch and as the market matures, and we will provide an HDMI for our customers when it makes sense. The reality is, you don’t need HDMI for HD gaming.
If I had to guess from this statement, I'd say that it will be offered when an HD-DVD version of the 360 comes to market as HDMI will be required for HD transmission of movies at that point.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
If I had to guess from this statement, I'd say that it will be offered when an HD-DVD version of the 360 comes to market as HDMI will be required for HD transmission of movies at that point.
I would only hope that they would make some sort of announcement before release that they plan on having an HD-DVD capable Xbox available down the road.

I'd hate to drop $400 on an Xbox, and then be told I'd have to drop another $400 to get one that will play HD-DVD movies.

That's why I'm hopefull Toshiba and Microsoft have come to some agreement, and why Toshiba and Sony aren't talking anymore about unifying the formats.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer
I would only hope that they would make some sort of announcement before release that they plan on having an HD-DVD capable Xbox available down the road.

I'd hate to drop $400 on an Xbox, and then be told I'd have to drop another $400 to get one that will play HD-DVD movies.

That's why I'm hopefull Toshiba and Microsoft have come to some agreement, and why Toshiba and Sony aren't talking anymore about unifying the formats.
To be honest, I'm surprised that they've said as much as they have. Anyone thinking about getting a 360 at launch now has to consider this as a possibility given comments from Gates and Allard. It would seem to only hurt sales by openly commenting on it or even specualting on the possibility of an HD-DVD version.

It's one thing to come out and say that the an HD-DVD version is possible for the future but that the launch version could be upgraded if and when that occurs. But it's another thing to fan the rumor flames about an HD-DVD version with absolutely no comment on whether the launch version could be upgraded. The only worse position would be if you officially said that yes, there would be an HD-DVD version and no, the launch version wouldn't be upgradeable. If you don't know for sure on whether there will be an HD-DVD version and especially if the launch version could be upgraded to HD-DVD, it seems like a bad business decision to say anything about HD-DVD at all.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
To be honest, I'm surprised that they've said as much as they have. Anyone thinking about getting a 360 at launch now has to consider this as a possibility given comments from Gates and Allard. It would seem to only hurt sales by openly commenting on it or even specualting on the possibility of an HD-DVD version.

It's one thing to come out and say that the an HD-DVD version is possible for the future but that the launch version could be upgraded if and when that occurs. But it's another thing to fan the rumor flames about an HD-DVD version with absolutely no comment on whether the launch version could be upgraded. The only worse position would be if you officially said that yes, there would be an HD-DVD version and no, the launch version wouldn't be upgradeable. If you don't know for sure on whether there will be an HD-DVD version and especially if the launch version could be upgraded to HD-DVD, it seems like a bad business decision to say anything about HD-DVD at all.
Not really. You know that HD-DVD will cost more in a new Xbox unit. hardcore fans aren't going to wait and casual fans won't even be paying attention. There may be a few that wait but those may be inclined to get a second Xbox or a stand alone HD DVD player. I think it's too early to second guess that one.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I hope microsoft does'nt come out with an HD DVD version because if they did the format war would be even more longer, since i was hoping blu-ray in the PS3 would put an end to the format war and we finally get an HD DVD standard format.

That's what i was hoping for, but if microsoft makes an HD DVD version it's going to be a mess!

I was hoping only the PS3 would be used for HD DVD playback and finally end the format war and blu-ray become the standard.But if microsoft comes out with an all new xbox360 with built in HD DVD playback, i'm afraid the format war will be far from over.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
I hope microsoft does'nt come out with an HD DVD version because if they did the format war would be even more longer, since i was hoping blu-ray in the PS3 would put an end to the format war and we finally get an HD DVD standard format.

That's what i was hoping for, but if microsoft makes an HD DVD version it's going to be a mess!

I was hoping only the PS3 would be used for HD DVD playback and finally end the format war and blu-ray become the standard.But if microsoft comes out with an all new xbox360 with built in HD DVD playback, i'm afraid the format war will be far from over.

What do you guys think?
I think if Microsoft put in an HD-DVD drive and got it into store before X-mas, that it would help the HD-DVD camp gain a significant foothold on the upcoming HD war, especially if the PS3 doesn't make it to stores until mid or late 2006.

But, like you said, it could also only further create confusion over the formats.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Quote:
But, like you said, it could also only further create confusion over the formats.
Yeah, that's my point, it would confuse the format war even more and delay it longer:(

So in a way i'd love the xbox360 to have an HD DVD drive, and then i don't.IMO i think microsoft should wait untill the format war is done then use whatever format that has won.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
Not really. You know that HD-DVD will cost more in a new Xbox unit. hardcore fans aren't going to wait and casual fans won't even be paying attention. There may be a few that wait but those may be inclined to get a second Xbox or a stand alone HD DVD player. I think it's too early to second guess that one.
But even if the negative impact is minimal, why bother? I just don't see what they gain. Unless they can pull a rabbit out of their hats and include an HD-DVD drive from the getgo, talking about some future implementation doesn't seem to benefit them at all before the launch and probably negatively impacts them to some extenent.

It wouldn't seem to help the format in general, either. You already knew from the earlier announcement that MS was backing the format. That would probably have created it's own speculation about an HD-DVD drive in the 360 at some point, but why fuel that? If Toshiba launches this fall and people think an HD-DVD based 360 is coming, then why not just wait for it instead? The standalone will probably be at least $1K and an HD-DVD 360 will almost certainly be much cheaper than that. Delaying the uptake of HD-DVD allows more time for consumers to take a "wait and see" attitude so they can compare it to Blu-Ray.

I could possibly see giving HD-DVD early adopters some comfort in knowing that MS is fully behind it, but that seems like a stretch. You could have just talked about planned native support for HD-DVD in Vista and played up the partnership. Again, while having HD-DVD drives in 360s sounds like a good way to ensure the format's survival, you run into the issues above by doing so. Besides which, without saying when such 360s would appear, you don't really get the full confidence in the format you hope to inspire and on the other hand you don't really convince people that their launch purchase won't be outdated in a year.

Really, this one is a head-scratcher to me.

Jeff

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
I would imagine that unit would include an HDMI cable.

Why include it when they can sell it as a seperate item and charge you for it again! :eek:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasman
I just want to play games.

Jasman
I agree and I bet a large portion of Xbox 360 owners think the same thing. Several of us keep saying that it is only a small percentage of Xbox 360 owners that would use HDMI but nobody seems to listen.

Look at the bitching about having to pay an extra $100 for the HD. What would happen if the price was > $500 just because they put in a HD optical drive and HDMI?

Anyways to answer your question I think that you will see a version of the Xbox 360 with HDMI and some sort of HD optical drive released on the same day as the PS3 in a super duper bundle with Halo3 :) At least that is what I would do if I was Microsoft. Heck I would even offer some sort of trade in trade up program for your "old and out of date Xbox360 Core" and announce the first price cut on the core system as well. Think of the marketing slogan:

"Why buy a PS3 for $500 when for the low low price of $249 you can still enjoy kick ass games in HD...however should you want to watch HD movies and connect using a digital signal we will be happy to sell you this version of the XBOX360 for $50 less then the price of a PS3"

Sure people might be pissed at first but if they really want the features then they will sell their XBOX360 to a buddy who doesn't have one yet and use the money to buy the new one.

Laters,

Jeff

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvudrj
Why include it when they can sell it as a seperate item and charge you for it again! :eek:
Oh you can rest assured they would. With component/optical cables taking a 100% markup in the generation leap (original Xbox HD/AV cables were $20, now $40), an HDMI cable would CERTAINLY cost at least $60.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well before everyone jumps to conclusions.

They said that theyd support HDMI "when the people need it" months before this article.

That in no way indicates that its coming anytime soon, and nor does this article.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarauko
Well before everyone jumps to conclusions.

They said that theyd support HDMI "when the people need it" months before this article.

That in no way indicates that its coming anytime soon, and nor does this article.
And it looks like that people will only need it if they choose to support HD-DVD, but considering Toshiba wants to get HD-DVD out to the market before the end of the year, and considering the probable need for an HDMI output for all HDCP content, then maybe Microsoft is trying to work up a deal between themselves and Toshiba to get HD-DVD capable 360's available to the public around the same time Toshiba plans on launching HD-DVD.

It could be very beneficial to both companies, and help solidify their respective positions in the consol and format wars.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
still don't see what MS wil gain, not only that, but AACS is not finalized, some HW is not finalized..... I really cannot see how it would be possible for an HD-DVD to be included with the first Xbox in Nov. not to mention that if 4-5 months later they come out with an HD-DVD 360 it might and games that use the HD-DVD it might PO the guy that paid 400$ for the system

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.