AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

im upgrading my video card (9500gs) which has hdmi output whith audio (s/pdif cable from the motherboard's audio chip (realtek hd) to the videocard)

since i only have 300w psu my choice is either gt240 or 9600gt.

the 9600gt uses the same method as 9500gs for audio. but gt240 has onboard audio codec.

i would take the gt240 but i'm concerned about the audio quality of gt240 is it as good as realtek hd quality?

i only use the hdmi output directly to my plasma tv.

·
Registered
726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum /forum/post/18282403

hi

im upgrading my video card (9500gs) which has hdmi output whith audio (s/pdif cable from the motherboard's audio chip (realtek hd) to the videocard)

since i only have 300w psu my choice is either gt240 or 9600gt.

the 9600gt uses the same method as 9500gs for audio. but gt240 has onboard audio codec.

i would take the gt240 but i'm concerned about the audio quality of gt240 is it as good as realtek hd quality?

i only use the hdmi output directly to my plasma tv.

Have you considered an ati radeon 4350/4550 or 5450? The 5450 can be had for $50, does HD audio via HDMI, is PAP and HDCP compatible, etc. Basically if you're intended use for this card is HTPC, you can't do better than that card.

If you intend to do some gaming, something like a Radeon HD5670 will perform well in games, doesn't require a PCIX power connector (so it would work fine with your PSU) and still performs all the same HTPC functions you need it to, and can be had for under $100 shipped. And will perform close to that GTX 240 you listed.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I would get a GT220. I've got a few that replaced a couple 9500gs's and IGP9400 with better video quality and no problems with the sound quality. Going straight to the TV you won't know the difference.

The ATI cards are nice, but going straight to a TV you will not gain anything over the Nvidia unless you upgrade to a receiver that will accept HD audio. Your upgrade would be much easier staying with Nvidia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/18282454

Have you considered an ati radeon 4350/4550 or 5450? The 5450 can be had for $50, does HD audio via HDMI, is PAP and HDCP compatible, etc. Basically if you're intended use for this card is HTPC, you can't do better than that card.

If you intend to do some gaming, something like a Radeon HD5670 will perform well in games, doesn't require a PCIX power connector (so it would work fine with your PSU) and still performs all the same HTPC functions you need it to, and can be had for under $100 shipped. And will perform close to that GTX 240 you listed.

but according to amd.com , HD5670, HD5670 require more than 400w psu (mine is 300w)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/18283712

I would get a GT220. I've got a few that replaced a couple 9500gs's and IGP9400 with better video quality and no problems with the sound quality. Going straight to the TV you won't know the difference.

The ATI cards are nice, but going straight to a TV you will not gain anything over the Nvidia unless you upgrade to a receiver that will accept HD audio. Your upgrade would be much easier staying with Nvidia.

does the gt220 have internal spdif or onboard audio? or is it both? in their website it seems to be both but i would love to be sure.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum /forum/post/18287301

but according to amd.com , HD5670, HD5670 require more than 400w psu (mine is 300w)?

I'm assuming you're not planning on gaming or anything since you have a 300w PSU so a 5450, 5550 would be good. You might be able to get away with a 5670 on a 300w PSU but I have no clue. I thought it only uses 47w max

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum /forum/post/18287325

does the gt220 have internal spdif or onboard audio? or is it both? in their website it seems to be both but i would love to be sure.

Onboard audio chip.

·
Registered
726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum /forum/post/18287301

They always shoot high on those power requirements on the website, the reason is because there are a LOT of really crap PSU's out there with low 60's efficiency or worse. So they have to make sure some consumer doesn't cry a river when they can't run a certain card on their system because its some wonky ass PSU that cant be identified.

Tomshardware (VERY respected computer hardware website) did a review on it, here's a link to the power/heat section:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,2533-17.html

For a point of reference if you look at the chart, the GT240 you were considering only draws about 14 watts less under load. Even better than 9600gt is only 5 watts less. The reality is if you're sure you can run either of those 2 cards you can run a 5670

Personally i think you'll be fine, if you're not and you take out your PSU, you can get an antec earthwatts 430w 80plus certified PSU on newegg for less than 50 dollars. SO i wouldnt stress too much either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts