AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone knows what my problem here is. I have a Vizio 42 inch plasma with 2 HDMI inuts, w/upconvert DVD player in 1 and my DVR in the other. My reciever does not handle HDMI, so I have ran the HDMI cables to my tv from my components and then the Optical cables to my reciever, however I am not only getting a Pro Logic signal, and not a 5.1 signal. I didnt think this would be an issue, any ideas?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm not sure if I am totally understanding your wiring system here. I do not have hdmi. Are you running your optical (audio) from your dvd player directly to your receiver? I would try that if you haven't.

Good luck, Frank

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It's possible that your TV will not pass 5.1 back out through optical connections. Many components are still exhibiting problems with passing multichannel through HDMI.

Also, you may not have your DVR output setup adjusted to Dolby Digital. When first delivered, the DirecTV receivers have the Dolby set to "off". You go into the Audio section of the setup menu and turn it on there.

As stated before, run the optical cables directly from the component to the receiver, and NOT through the TV set.

You ARE seeing the same problem from both the DVD player and the DVR, right?

Lee

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'm confused by these answers. He's running optical directly into the receiver, not to the tv. The tv gets the HDMI cables. There is no multichannel/HDMI discussion here...HDMI doesn't even deal with audio in his setup.

We need more info. Where do you expect to get 5.1 signals from in the first place, DVR or DVD, or both. Likely scenarios: The main reason you are not getting 5.1 is likely that your broadcast stations are not sending 5.1 but for a few shows. The secondary reason, assuming you are not getting 5.1 with DVD also, is that your player and/or receiver has a setup parameter wrong, although unlikely. (Note: If by 5.1 you mean hirez 5.1, well you can't! Hirez 5.1 is not available via coax or optical). Make sure your digital out (on the DVR and DVD player menus) are set for standard auto detection, or whatever the mfg recommends for full open signal path for Dolby Digital and DTS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.