AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little confused about the video benefit of upgrading my cable connection btw my plasma (Hitachi HSD69 - 1080x1024) and my HD cable box (HD8300) ...I have right now a Belkin Pure AV component cable (same brand for audio) would it make a BIG difference in video quality if I purchase a expensive HDMI cable like the Wireworld or Better cable?

Is there always a difference of video result btw using a component cable and HDMI cables?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
1) No it probably won't make a BIG dfference though it might improve PQ some using the digital connection since your display is digital.

2) No need to buy an expensive HDMI cable, HDMI is digital, as long as the 0's and 1's get from point A to point B, the PQ will always be the same regardless how much you paid for the cable. Check monoprice.com for great deals on HDMI cables.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl /forum/post/0

Thanks Matt I just purchased a Belkin Pure AV 8ft HDMi to HDMI ($40) so I will the chance to compare both component and HDMI ands ee for myself!

Jesus, went into one ear, out the other. Are you telling me you couldn't wait a week to get it from monoprice and save $30? I'd hesitate to get the $25 ones from Sears...

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcrow21 /forum/post/0

Jesus, went into one ear, out the other. Are you telling me you couldn't wait a week to get it from monoprice and save $30? I'd hesitate to get the $25 ones from Sears...

Least he didn't drop 100+ on a Monster cable...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What can I say I REALLY wanted to compare both!

I just got the cable so far I dont see any differences using my favorite HD file (Aviator) I wait tonight with total light control to see if I can see some differences!

I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl /forum/post/0

What can I say I REALLY wanted to compare both!

I just got the cable so far I dont see any differences using my favorite HD file (Aviator) I wait tonight with total light control to see if I can see some differences!

I will keep you posted!

Please do us a favor to return the $40.00 HDMI cable. You can get the same one from Monoprice for $5.00 - $8.00. I just bought a bunch of 6ft cables for $4.99 each.

Why do need to return the $40.00 cables? Because purchases like yours feed on the frenzy and make more people to go out and have their wallet cleaned in the illusion of having a better PQ. Not to mentioned it is your money to the first place.

As far as differences are concerned, there is a theoritical difference between the component and the HDMI. If you use the component cables, we convert a digital signal from the source (DVD player for example) to analog signal to travel along the componenet cable. When the analog signal reaches your display (a HDTV monitor or a digital projector for example), it is converted back into a digital signal for display. The HDMI cable, on the other hand, transmit digial signal all along the path. There is no conversion.

In theory, all of the conversion is undesirable. In practice, your eyes (at least mine) would not be able to pick up the differences on the display device. So, if you want the psychologocal effects (like I do) you might want to use a HDMI cable.

.... but not a $40.00 cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i admit to knowing just about nothing about electronic equipment, so don't go getting all mad or anything, BUT...

do you think that there is no difference in quality between a $200 monster gold plated this and that hdmi cable and the one you buy for $5?

or do you think the difference in quality will not translate to a better picture?

i have to go buy a cable and you have scared me into buying the cheap one.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's a digital signal so in principle you either get it or you don't. You only need be concerned about your cable if you are going a long distance. You need a thicker cable to maintain the bandwidth. But the same principle applies, you still should get your cable from monoprice or another online vendor. There is no justification for paying high prices for cables. And most of the so-called "quality" improvements that people like Monster talk about are purely cosmetic. The cables look good so they must be good, right?

And component vs HDMI - if the TV inputs are properly calibrated there probably won't be any difference. I saw a presentation pointing out that the conversions involved in getting a signal to the TV screen (up/down converting, deinterlacing etc) had far more impact on the picture quality than anything you would see from the D/A converters. And HDMI has more problems than component over long distances.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.