AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go through Charter Cable. I called to order HD programming, but their HD boxes are made with only Componet Cables. NO HDMI.. Not until sometime in the future will they supply a box with HDMI.

What kind of difference in quality can I expect between the two connections? Should I be worried?

I've been debating wether or not I should use Direct Tv and get rid of my cable programming..

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brad

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendu2875 /forum/post/0

I go through Charter Cable. I called to order HD programming, but their HD boxes are made with only Componet Cables. NO HDMI.. Not until sometime in the future will they supply a box with HDMI.

What kind of difference in quality can I expect between the two connections? Should I be worried?

I've been debating wether or not I should use Direct Tv and get rid of my cable programming..

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brad

Component and HDMI are about equivalent in their ability to carry video signals. People sometimes prefer one over the other, but which is better depends on the specific gear. Manufacturers sometimes implement one port better than the other.

I would say component vs HDMI is not a big issue. What sort of service the cable company provides, and what quality of signal, will be more limiting than the connection method.

-Bill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you are looking to get HD programing, I would check out DishNetwork, they have the largest HD lineup in the industry, I used to have TW Cable for 15 years, their HD lineup paled in comparison to DishNetwork, I got the Platinum pakage, am I glad I made the switch, you betcha, should had done it long time ago, will never go back to Cable, and their HD boxes have HDMI and Component connections.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:

Does DISHNETWORK carry FSN Detroit for the Pistons games?

I am sure they do "just call and ask them", they crary MSG here in NYC for the Rangers and Knicks games, and also FSN for Islanders Devils.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brad

You are likely to see much more of a PQ difference by switching from your cableco to DirectTV (or vice versa), rather than switching component for HDMI.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe /forum/post/0

You are likely to see much more of a PQ difference by switching from your cableco to DirectTV (or vice versa), rather than switching component for HDMI.

Exactly, the compression and source quality are the biggest issues for PQ.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain /forum/post/0

Sorry to hijack but if you connect via HDMI, do you still need the R and W RCA cable for sound or it came with HDMI? Thanks

HDMI carries both audio and video.

-Bill

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
yes that should work fine for you. check monoprice.com for good solid cables at excellent prices and fast shipping.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain /forum/post/0

Sorry to hijack but if you connect via HDMI, do you still need the R and W RCA cable for sound or it came with HDMI? Thanks

Depends on if you play sound through your tv speakers or a receiver. If you do, and don't have problems with your STB, then no you don't need the composite sound cables. If you play the sound through a stereo receiver then yes you do. Better yet use digital sound to a dolby digital receiver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.