AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a LG 26" LCD TV for my bar. I prewired coax to the cabinet below where the TV will be located. I intend to put a digital cable box in the cabinet. My only plan for the TV is display the cable signal, no plans for a DVD player or additional audio. The question is; Is it necessary to run an HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV? My thought was the cable signal comes into the house via coax, so how is it possible to downgrade the signal by continuing coax from the cable box to the TV? I'm not aware of any upconversion of the signal by the cable box, so is there anything to lose by using coax?

I have a limited time window where it might still be possible to run HDMI from the cabinet to the TV location, but it will still be tricky to pull off.

Any help?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The data is being downloaded to your digital cable box via coax, similar to using a cable modem with your computer at home. You should use HDMI or Component video cables from your cable box to assure the best picture quality.

Also, consider calibrating your display with a simple calibration DVD such as DVE or Avia. Crank your sharpness all the way down, set the color temperature to warm, adjust your brightness settings so black are actually black, etc.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
And be sure to get an HD cable box. Component (red/green/blue) for video and then red/white audio cables will be more trouble free than HDMI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts