AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yamaha htr6060 receiver which has HDMI inputs.

Right now i am using HDMI for video to my TV & Toslink to my receiver for audio.

Is there any AUDIO advantage to using HDMI to my receiver & then another HDMI from the receiver to my TV? IE does HDMI carry a better audio signal than Toslink?

I thought it may degrade my video since it is one more HDMI connection/cable to get the video to my TV.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Whether there is an audio advantage depends on what your source is and what your receiver can process. If you are playing music or a DVD, then there is no advantage. If you are playing a Bluray disc, then there could very well be an advantage.

I couldn't look at the manual for your yamaha because it wanted me to sign in... so I'm not 100% sure if that model can read LPCM through HDMI, but the specs didn't mention it, so I'm guessing it can't.

If it can't read LPCM through HDMI then that means it can only receive bitstream info from the source through HDMI. And since you can't process the new HD audio codecs, then you will just receive the standard Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams. Which would be the same over optical.

I don't see an advantage unless I'm missing something...

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
As others have tried to point out, with plain ol' CDs and DD/DTS5.1 DVDs, there is no advantage, SQ-wise. The advantage would be the ability to use your receiver for unified audio and video switching. Theoretically, passing the video signal through the receiver via HDMI should not result in any degradation. Still, many people prefer a direct connection for their video.

Your receiver can process uncompressed multichannel LPCM that is passed to it from a BR player that can unpackage and pass the hirez codecs as LPCM. If you are using a BR player, and it can unpackage and pass the uncompressed hirez codecs as LPCM (I think that most can), then you can enjoy the hirez codecs if you pass them as HDMI but ONLY if you you pass them via HDMI. You cannot pass this info via Toslink.

Your receiver can also accept DVD-A and SACD via HDMI. These formats cannot be passed via Toslink, either.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. thanks. I should have noted that I do have a PS3 & use it for blue ray. I wasn't sure if my receiver could do the LPCM conversion.

Time to get another HDMI cable. Monoprice here I come.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceblrc /forum/post/15511137

Ok. thanks. I should have noted that I do have a PS3 & use it for blue ray.

Time to get another HDMI cable. Monoprice here I come.

Yes, you should definitely be passing the hirez BR audio to your receiver as multichannel LPCM if you want to enjoy the hirez codecs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I finally got it hooked up. I rented dark knght on blue ray. I set the PS3 to audio out to PCM & set the blue ray to dolby digital true HD. I set my Yamaha receiver HMDI input to "other" to that it can accept the true HD signal (as per my manual). On my receiver it displays MPCM & all the 7.1 lights show up. While the movie did sound great I didn't notice much if any improvement over regular dolby digital.

Did I not do something right?

·
Registered
290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceblrc /forum/post/15603888

Well I finally got it hooked up. I rented dark knght on blue ray. I set the PS3 to audio out to PCM & set the blue ray to dolby digital true HD. I set my Yamaha receiver HMDI input to "other" to that it can accept the true HD signal (as per my manual). On my receiver it displays MPCM & all the 7.1 lights show up. While the movie did sound great I didn't notice much if any improvement over regular dolby digital.

Did I not do something right?

no you did everything right. the term "HD" sound is tricky in that it makes people think that the difference is night and day like the difference between SD and HD video. it definitely is not even remotely as apparent. the pros at audioholics even had a tough time distinguishing the difference when they went to dolby and dts sound rooms....and those were treated rooms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts