AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking t purchase a Sanyo Z3 projector, but am unsure of the best cabling setup to use. I have a Yamaha HTR-5660 AV receiver but it only has component for video out (no HDMI or DVI). Unfortunately I need roughly a 32' cable run :eek: from the receiver to the projector. I haven't gotten the HD box from my cable company (Comcast) so I'm not sure was connector type it will take. Any thoughts on the best way to cable it up?

Thanks!

-Bob

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I wouldn't use the AV receiver to do video switching unless it's a must.. You should really find out if your cable box has an active HDMI or DVI out and if you plan on adding any other components that require HDMI/DVI or component...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt. The HD Cable box only has DVI not HDMI. Due to the long cable run, cost and wall cutouts I want to just run HDMI. Not sure how well DVI to HDMI converters work.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs46246
Thanks Matt. The HD Cable box only has DVI not HDMI. Due to the long cable run, cost and wall cutouts I want to just run HDMI. Not sure how well DVI to HDMI converters work.
There is no issue, you do not need a convertor since there is absolutely nothing to convert, all you need is an adapter since the DVI signal is copied identically to the HDMI plug.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Just a heads up--32' is a long run for DVI. You may be using HDMI cable, but the limiting factor is the DVI TX chip in the STB. Whatever cable you end up buying, make sure you can return/exchange it if it doesn't work (you'll see "green sparklies" in the signal if there's a problem).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan to use an HDMI cable for the run to the projector (32') from the DVD and HD box - are there quality or specs I need to look for in HDMI cables? I've seen big differences in prices from $70 to $300.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Quote:
I plan to use an HDMI cable for the run to the projector (32')
Man, I would LOVE to see THAT work! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
I'm in the same boat and am looking for advice.

for the best future-proofing...should I run HDMI through the wall and then use a DVI-HDMI adaptor on each end to connect to my DVI gear? Since HDMI can do "more" than DVI (audio too) it seems that it would make more sense to have the installed cable an HDMI cable as long as there was no performance issue with using the converter/adaptors on each end with my DVI equipment... (oppo dvd player and BenQ 8700+ PJ)

thoughts? I'm doing about a 20 foot run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.