AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried using dvi to hdmi connectors but for some reason, they don't work well with my TV. I was wondering if I just get a hdmi video card, would the video quality be better than dvi?

Should I get a video card with hdmi audio too? or should I get a separate sound card to get the best possible audio out of my htpc?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
DVI->HDMI should work just fine, what's your current card?

ATI cards have audio, but don't pass BTB or WTW

Nvidia cards do BTB and WTW and 24p, but don't do audio.

You pick.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Pending what the OP's current card is, you may like to check out the (gigabyte) HD4550 as it is fanless, native HDMI out, cheap does 24p, supports TV Colour Space (BTB / WTW?).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now I'm using a geforce 9500gt. I am using the vga port instead of dvi, but it still doesn't look as good as video coming out of my pop corn hour.

Anyone know why the popcorn hour has better video quality out?

·
Registered
320 Posts
ati 2600xt, good and meets the need

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone /forum/post/15546113

Pending what the OP's current card is, you may like to check out the (gigabyte) HD4550 as it is fanless, native HDMI out, cheap does 24p, supports TV Colour Space (BTB / WTW?).

ATI's just don't do BTB or WTW currently

the 24p support is flakey across different apps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you are using the vga port I think that is analogue so will be poor quality,

As for the dvi or hdmi there will probably be no difference in picture quality as they are both digital unless your card has poor output but I think its probably your drivers or the actual setup of the card or display. The Hdmi will only add audio over the dvi to hdmi adaptor should not affect picture quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts