AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It looks there there are a bunch of receivers that have more than 1 HDMI output connector. But I'm struggling to find one that can output 2 separate HDMI signals.

I'd like to have a BluRay movie playing in main zone and DirecTV in zone 2 (at the same time). Both BluRay and DirecTV would only be connected to receiver via HDMI.

Does anyone know if there's a receiver (or preamp) capable of doing this today? Or maybe something coming in the future?

Thanks,

-Matt

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
All the low- to mid-range receivers I know of require an analog connection for zone 2 audio... using the digital stream would require an additional DAC, which bumps the price up. Also, not sure if the ones that do handle digital zone would output it over hdmi...

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoloman33
Hi, It looks there there are a bunch of receivers that have more than 1 HDMI output connector. But I'm struggling to find one that can output 2 separate HDMI signals. I'd like to have a BluRay movie playing in main zone and DirecTV in zone 2 (at the same time). Both BluRay and DirecTV would only be connected to receiver via HDMI. Does anyone know if there's a receiver (or preamp) capable of doing this today? Or maybe something coming in the future? Thanks, -Matt
My solution to this problem was to buy three Yamaha RX-V6xx AVRs over a couple of years and to dedicate one to each room|zone. I thought this approach would provide more flexibility than one 'complex' AVR plus some extra power amps and HDMI switches, and cost about the same either way. Plus I get a better hardware redundancy in case one AVR breaks . . . and an obvious upgrade strategy: "replace the oldest|least-capable of the three in-place AVRs every few years".

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I have the Integra DHC 80.2 and it doesn't do 2nd zone HDMI(and if there was a single piece of AV equipment that was going to do it...that one, would have been the ONLY ONE).

Maybe the 80.3 will do it(anybody want to take some bets? I'll start with $100 that it won't do 2nd zone HDMI)

But, you do get 2nd zone Component Video that is HD capable("everybody" else has that as well) that works for everything but "modern"* Blu Ray(thanks to Analog Sunset)

*Does anybody know "for sure" if the older analog outs no longer work? I have a Panasonic DMP BD35 as my oldest...but it hasn't had a "since the AS took effect" firmware update.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20825847

I have the Integra DHC 80.2 and it doesn't do 2nd zone HDMI(and if there was a single piece of AV equipment that was going to do it...that one, would have been the ONLY ONE).

Maybe the 80.3 will do it(anybody want to take some bets? I'll start with $100 that it won't do 2nd zone HDMI)

But, you do get 2nd zone Component Video that is HD capable("everybody" else has that as well) that works for everything but Blu Ray(thanks to Analog Sunset)

I have the Integra 9.8 and have started to look for an upgrade. I guess the demand for zone 2 HDMI isn't there yet?

I'm not going to accept your bet
, but I'm really hoping the next gen Intergra or equivalent have support for zone 2 HDMI.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Multiple zone HDMI would greatly increase the complexity of the HDMI path of the receiver. AV receivers already have to cascade switches to get 8 HDMI inputs, this would mean doubling them. You also need to split each HDMI input and add an encoder and a switch on the output side. You also have to figure how to handle CEC and EDIDs in a compliant yet not insane manner.

That would get you an HDMI Zone 5. It would essentially be completely independent device, seperate from the rest of the receiver. No upconversion of video, no video processing whatsoever. No handling of audio either except to pass it through. No audio output to powered speaker terminals, or to another amplifier. If you want to add any of that you need to duplicate even more functionality of the receiver.

On the other hand, zone 2 analogue video can be implemented in software. Analogue video already has an independent path from HDMI video.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.