AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SA 8300HDC DVR from TWC connected via a powered HDMI splitter to a Samsung HLS6187WX 61" DLP 1080P projection TV in the den, and a Samsung LTN3242HX 32" 720P LCD TV in a bedroom (rooms share a wall). This setup allows us to watch a DVR'd show in either room. It worked fine for a while, but now the DVR goes haywire when both HDMI cables are connected to the splitter, forcing me to unplug the one not in use. My question....is the DVR having problems because of the different types of TV's that are connected? Should I have used a HDMI switch box, or should the powered splitter that I'm using work? I've replaced the DVR, but that didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
you need to get a "switch box". by using a standard splitter, both devices are connected to the dvr at the same time, causing it to go crazy. you need to get a switcher, that will allow you to choose which cable is connected, and which is turned off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should mention that on the front display on the DVR, the resolution indicator would bounce back & forth from 1080i to 720p....of course, when I went just checked for this post, everything appears to be working fine. I bought a basic powered HDMI splitter off of eBay...don't remember the brand, but I wasn't interested putting a lot of $$ into the purchase. I think maybe I should go with a A/B HDMI switchbox instead.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If it has never worked properly and is apparently not under warrantee then get a switch since they have replaced powered splitters when you only need to split to a couple of ports.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can someone recommend a decent, under $100, auto or manual HDMI switchbox? I need to be able to send a signal from my DVR to one of two TV's. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Dart /forum/post/18262628

can someone recommend a decent, under $100, auto or manual HDMI switchbox? I need to be able to send a signal from my DVR to one of two TV's. Thanks!

Their website is down until Tuesday for maintenance but monoprice has a lot of them. The manual 2 way switch is only about $18 and works either way. 2X1 or 1X2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ditto on monoprice. i bought a splitter there for short money, like 20 bucks or something, and had no problems with it. good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts