AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just spent the summer/fall finishing my HT basement and ran Cat6 for the main TV and projector. All the connections worked well with the Monoprice HDMI wall plates (HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate 6177) when the components were connected directly to the display units. I finally went out and purchased a Yamaha RX-V867 receiver as it has 2 HMDI outputs, however I'm having little or no luck getting the receiver to pass a HDMI signal. It will work on my DirecTV HR21 satellite receiver but only at 480p. At 720p/1080i/p it keeps popping in and out. Nothing at all on a PS3 even at very low res 480i. Nothing on the AppleTV (model 2). I'm very frustrated and running out of ideas. I was thinking of changing the HDMI plates to a powered HDMI over Cat6 extender (Monoprice 4065) to see if that helps. The Yamaha unit works fine when connected directly to a source component and outputting to a monitor over HDMI. It just can't handle the Cat6 cables for some reason. Fortunately, I bought the Yamaha at BestBuy and there's a no hassle return policy until January, but otherwise it's a nice receiver and I would like to keep it if possible. Any suggestions/remedies much appreciated! Have a wonderful holiday everyone

·
Registered
190 Posts
Different HDMI source components have different output characteristics. So it makes sense the Yamaha would not work when other components do. The best thing you can do is go to an active balun that does not rely on hot outputs of the source component (in this case the Yamaha) to drive the signal.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yamaha has a real week output for HDMI. If you want a solid HDMI over Cat 5 or 6, use Wyrstorm and you will be solid. I've used every Hdmi over Cat

and Wystorm is the way to go. I have a Yamaha Z11 and had the same deal.

Check them out, Hope that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks force10 so much. Would you recommend a specific type of Wyrestorm extender, or alternatively, would you know of a receiver with a known strong HDMI signal and just return that Yamaha?

·
Registered
664 Posts
What distance are you running? That was never mentioned and would be a big factor in problem solving this. Aslo I would go the active route rather than trying to find a hot HDMI out. Will save you headaches down the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jzoz01. Distances are around 35'. Cables were made on site by the installer and tested prior to install (and have shown to work without the receiver). I'm looking at the Wyrestorm stuff. I suppose you get what you pay for in this world!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Jzoz is right. An active solution will be better in the long term. Other recommended baluns are SnapAV, Extron, Gefen, and Mux Lab. SnapAV and Gefen have 1.4 compatible models, I don't know about the others however they have always been extremely reliable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after a lot of research I decided to go for the Grandbeing HDMI over single Cat5/6 converter http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-over-1-cat5.html

Had it overnighted from HDTV supply and once hooked up everything worked well. Only issues I've seen are the occasional white sparkles with the PS3 over 1080p. These baluns are HDMI 1.3b rated for what its worth. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMan /forum/post/19606283

I've just spent the summer/fall finishing my HT basement and ran Cat6 for the main TV and projector. All the connections worked well with the Monoprice HDMI wall plates (HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate 6177) when the components were connected directly to the display units. I finally went out and purchased a Yamaha RX-V867 receiver as it has 2 HMDI outputs, however I'm having little or no luck getting the receiver to pass a HDMI signal. It will work on my DirecTV HR21 satellite receiver but only at 480p. At 720p/1080i/p it keeps popping in and out. Nothing at all on a PS3 even at very low res 480i. Nothing on the AppleTV (model 2). I'm very frustrated and running out of ideas. I was thinking of changing the HDMI plates to a powered HDMI over Cat6 extender (Monoprice 4065) to see if that helps. The Yamaha unit works fine when connected directly to a source component and outputting to a monitor over HDMI. It just can't handle the Cat6 cables for some reason. Fortunately, I bought the Yamaha at BestBuy and there's a no hassle return policy until January, but otherwise it's a nice receiver and I would like to keep it if possible. Any suggestions/remedies much appreciated! Have a wonderful holiday everyone

Monoprice HDMI Extender using Cat5e/CAT6 cable extending up to 60 Meter, Supporting DDC & HDCP (Product ID "6532") perfectly works fine but with a tweak on Yamaha RX-V867. There is setting which we need to do it from system settings. Follow the instructions from the manual Page 119-120. You need to change the setting of "Removing HDMI video output up-scaling limits" from YES to SKIP. Then every thing should start working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts