AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We are small electronics design company who are thinking about launching a product which takes HDMI high definition signal and converts it into a true network signal that could be transmitted either over cable, wireless or a homeplug adapter.

This would allow true HD video distribution throughout the home with no additional wiring.

The question is how much would people be willing to pay for this device?

Currently the technology we have would be able to transmit hdmi to 2 network receivers.

Many thanks

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Good idea. Surprised nothing like that is on the market. Currently have only 480i RF composite from my TWC 8300HD to two nearby B&W and color monitors (besides 1080i YPbPr to a 1080p plasma). But just ordered a 10/100/1000 gigabit switch to network a Sony PS3 Blu-ray, which might handle converted HDMI. Guess though, my 8300HD STB won't put out HDMI/YPbPr simultaneously, so perhaps a HDMI network adapter would need a work-around. (My 8300HD delivers somewhat better luma resolution to the 1080p plasma with YPbPr than HDMI.) -- John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

It will use H.264 Level 4 compression for the video stream which is variable depending on the quality of the network link.

As the system is designed for PLC (Power Line Carrier) networking a fixed compression rate wouldn't work very well. I would imagine it will use a maximum of about 60MB/s for 1080P.

As well as HDMI we also have the option to have a Component video input as well as good old fashioned composite.

We can also add a HDMI switch for up to 3 HDMI sources on the transmitter with the selected input being both transmitted and passed through the unit to the local TV.

Currently the system only supports one TX and 2 RX (not including the local display, so Lounge, Kitchen & Bedroom) so it will not be possible to send several HDMI streams over the network at the same time.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
So the box will accept ATSC standard HD HDMI, ATSC standard HD component, or NTSC SD composite content and compress and encode it using H.264, is this correct?

I also assume the box supports HDCP for HDMI input and the will honor the Image Constraint Token (ICT) flag if set.

What sort of units do you envision being used by an end user to decompress and decode the H.264 content for input to their TV or do you envision TV sets that will support H.264 digital tuners in addition to 8VSB digital and QAM digital?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it in one Walford.

I envisage that the units will be sold as pairs 1 x Transmitter box and 1 x receiver with an additional receiver to be available as an option.

We may decide to offer 2 flavours of the units one with in built PLC networking modules and one with ethernet ports.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts