AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a new Home Theater System (whether by mix and match or by HTIB) and I keep running into this HDMI pass through thing.

I am looking to play Xbox, Watch DVDs, and hook up my laptop through the HDMI to watch blue rays! Thanks!

Is it possible to plug my laptop into a receiver that only has HDMI pass through and get audio and video? If not is there a way around it?

I have about $400 to spend on this system so I am definitely limited in budget. If you know of a HTIB that would work for what im looking for in my price range please let me know!

Thanks!

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
If it's pass-through, what it's saying is that all it is doing is switching the HDMI, which you would probably use for video only through to the display. The receiver isn't capable of receiving any of the audio signals via the HDMI inputs, all it is doing is acting as a switcher. You would need to run separate digital audio cables (SPDIF) into the receiver for surround sound. You wouldn't get full high-ress lossless audio this way, but this isn't an issue since you're just looking at a HTiB anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts