AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to go from my HD cable box to my AVR via HDMI and then to my plasma via HDMI does the AVR need to be on to pass the signal?

There are times when my wife just wants to turn on the TV and use the built-in speakers. I don't want to fire up the whole system for that.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHookEm /forum/post/0

If I want to go from my HD cable box to my AVR via HDMI and then to my plasma via HDMI does the AVR need to be on to pass the signal?

There are times when my wife just wants to turn on the TV and use the built-in speakers. I don't want to fire up the whole system for that.

Thoughts?

thats an awesome question - would love to know the answer too....

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Depends on the receiver. Some have a "stand-by" mode in which the HDMI remains powered and can pass the signal through when the receiver itself is powered down. Others (most?) do not pass the signal when the receiver is off. An alternative may be to connect your cable box by component video and digital audio directly to your TV, in addition to HDMI through the receiver.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Pioneer VSX-84TSXi does not pass through when in standby.

·
Registered
325 Posts
just make it easier...

get a harmoney remote.

even the people I live with can figure it out. I just changed one harmoney for another. and just dropped the new on the coffee table. Havn't had anyone complain yet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was the one who asked the question a while back. The only confirmed receiver is the Panasonic XR-57. From what I could gather the reason that Panny passes the signal when off is because it only has 1 input and 1 output. Very easy to do with just 1 input, but when you get into 2+ inputs you not only have to pass the signal in standby mode but there needs to be some sort of way to select which input should be getting passed through. For my setup I need 2 inputs minimum (3 is ideal) so I had to give up on that feature. If it's something you really want and can deal with just 1 HDMI input then try to focus on those and maybe you can find one besides the Panny that does it.

Also, if anyone with any sway in the receiver designing process is reading this, the EASY way to have HDMI passthrough is to dedicate 1 specific input among the total number as the passthrough when in standby. That should be easy enough to design and anyone who would want HDMI passthrough on more than 1 input is just being picky. Send royalties now plz

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

Quote:
Also, if anyone with any sway in the receiver designing process is reading this, the EASY way to have HDMI passthrough is to dedicate 1 specific input among the total number as the passthrough when in standby. That should be easy enough to design and anyone who would want HDMI passthrough on more than 1 input is just being picky. Send royalties now plz

- Why would the receiver manufacturers want you to not actively use their receiver?

I agree with the other poster. Get a programmable universal remote and do everything you need with one button press.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Denon AVR 4306 will not pass through signals when it is off. I have a Time Warner SA 8300HD, the HDMI out goes directly to my Samsung. The component out and optical audio out does to the Denon.

All I have to do is toggle between TV imputs. The default is straight to the TV so family doesn't have to fool around with multiple remotes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi all, new member here. Found this thread with great difficulty so I'm bumping it. I'm really surprised since it would seem to be a common situation.

i.e.: I have a nice system, watch movies thru projector, surround sound with the RX, and everything is fine. However, at times I just want to turn on TV, without all the paraphernalia (not to mention electricity costs - 600 W for a receiver?).

SO: considering that my cable box is connected to the RX, then RX to TV, is it not reasonable to want to watch TV thru the TV speakers without turning on the receiver?

I'm sure that there are a hundred solutions requiring splitters, etc. etc., (and yet another remote control to add to the ever increasing RC population here at home), but surely the AVR manufacturers have thought about this. Any decent models supporting this? Is the list extremely restricted?

To help prospective consumers of these receivers, what would be the technical description of such a feature (like I say I only found this thread after some pretty complicated searching).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Receivers with HDMI in standbye mode are becoming more common. A lot of receivers can pass HDMI audio, but that's not a great deal because (a) they will need to be on, and (b) it will limit audio due to EDID audio info coming from the TV, not the receiver.

The way the standbye mode works on my 3900 is that you can select fixed or last.

In fixed mode, you would probably set your received to send HDMI from your TV source. In my case, I have the receiver set to send the Tivo when it's in standbye mode.

In last, you need to set the receiver to the source before you turn it off. That would probably only be useful with a macro capable remote.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
For those suggesting a Harmony or other programable remote as a solution to this problem, forget it. I have one and although you have a single button to press to turn everything on, you have to keep the remote pointed in the right direction for 5-10 seconds while it spits out codes for the tv, receiver, cable box, and/or dvd player. It's a pain, especially when you have a toddler running around in front of the equipment blocking the IR. Some of the equipment only has power toggle codes instead of discrete on/off commands which compounds the problem since if you do get out of sync you have to manually go back and cycle whichever parts are out of sync. This results in an extremely low wife acceptance factor. The simplest answer is to have a pass through with the receiver when turned off.

For the moment I've routed the HDMI from the cable box to the TV and the optical out of the cable box to the receiver. The receiver can then obviously play the audio if you want or you can leave it off. I do have the Blu-ray HDMI routed through the receiver into a separate HDMI on the TV. This of course complicates setup for watching Blu-ray or Netflix since you have to switch both the TV and receiver sources, but keeps it simple for normal TV watching.

I just sprung for a TX-SR707 and I'm hoping it is able to do pass through when off so I can simplify this whole thing and elminate some cabling which will also improve the WAF. If not, at least I'm no worse off than I am today.

·
Registered
13,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Moleman /forum/post/17183196

For those suggesting a Harmony or other programable remote as a solution to this problem, forget it. I have one and although you have a single button to press to turn everything on, you have to keep the remote pointed in the right direction for 5-10 seconds while it spits out codes for the tv, receiver, cable box, and/or dvd player. It's a pain, especially when you have a toddler running around in front of the equipment blocking the IR.

But having to go through multiple remotes to turn different boxes on/off and switch TV's input takes even longer time and go though more trouble. Any one can be trained easily hold a remote steady for 5 to 10 seconds. Better yet, just leave it on the table or sofa surface.

Give it some time for getting used to a Harmony remote. Most devices, other than cable boxes, have discrete on/off IR commands. And most importantly, take away all other remotes so that they don't interfer with Harmony's operation.

And you can adjust power on delays on your devices. Unless you have a projector like mine, it usually takes very short time for all devices to turn on because Harmony will spit out all remote commands at once.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the same problem. Luckily my TV has two HDMI inputs. One is connected to my AV processor and the other to my Tivo series 3 which serves as a cable box. I have the HDMI output of the Tivo connected to a Monoprice 1 in two out HDMI switcher. From the switcher one cable goes to the processor and the other to the TV. All I have to do is change the inputs on the TV. Hope this helps. Don

·
Registered
921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaudio /forum/post/17183576

I have the same problem. Luckily my TV has two HDMI inputs. One is connected to my AV processor and the other to my Tivo series 3 which serves as a cable box. I have the HDMI output of the Tivo connected to a Monoprice 1 in two out HDMI switcher. From the switcher one cable goes to the processor and the other to the TV. All I have to do is change the inputs on the TV. Hope this helps. Don

This sounds like a good solution. Do you have the model of the hdmi switcher you are using?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just recevied my Denon AVR-2310ci, and it supports HDMI pass through in standby mode. But enabling this features causes the receiver to dissipate ~30W in standby. Not worth it to me, so I leave it turned off.

Kit

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.