AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just hooked up my Onkyo RC-360 to a couple of Sony speakers. I was under the impression that which the receiver on standby, the HDMI signal would "pass through" the receiver to my TV where I could still get an audio and video signal. When I read the manual it seems like this is the case too, however I couldn't quite get it to work. When im watching the news/sportscenter/random TV shows I don't like the sound of surround sound and would rather have my audio come from my TV. Also, is there a way to have all 3 play audio (2 speakers and TV)? I don't have a center speaker yet so if possible I would like to use my TV as my center.

·
The Village Idiot
9,558 Posts
I'm not familiar with the RC360 so I don't know if it passes the HDMI signal through when in standby. I would think it is capable of doing that.

As for your using the tv as the center channel there is no way to program your tv to do that - or to get the avr to cooperate. Turn off the tv speakers and use the AVR and connected speakers - you'll get a phantom center effect. Phantom center is nothing more than playing sounds that normally go to the center channel on both speakers giving the impression the sound comes from the center. Not as effective as a dedicated center channel but it can come close.

If you don't like surround sound play with your avr settings - it has many other formats beside surround sound. Try experimenting with those settings - I'm sure you'll find something you like. Most people do.

And how are you getting surround sound out of 2 sony speakers anyway?

If you can't get your avr to pass the HDMI signal in standby get a splitter and connect the split cable to an unused HDMI port on the tv. The tv should work as if no avr is present on HDMI 2, 3 or whatever one you connect it to on the tv.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Go into your setup-hardware setup-hdmi. Assing which hdmi through you want. (TV). turn tv audio out on-audio return channel on.

Now when you turn off your receiver (standby) Your signal will work for your tv. Audio and video. But why wouldn't you want it on. You say you only have 2 speakers? Like Knuckledhead90 said you won't get surround sound but there are different settings aswell for what you have that would sound so much better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will give that a try. I don't think I would want it on because sometimes it seems like people on tv are talking from both corners of the room instead of right in front of me where the TV is.

·
Premium Member
88,942 Posts
By setting HDMI Control (RIHD) (p. 52) to ON, the HDMI Through setting (p. 53) automatically gets set to AUTO. This configuration will likely pass the audio/video through to the TV even when the AVR is ON, otherwise, if not you can also set the Audio TV Out setting (p. 53) to ON as well. Also note that in this configuration you should be able to turn up the volume on the TV speakers to get audio from both the TV speakers and the FL/FR surround speakers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar setup with the RC360 to my LG 47LD500 TV where the audio from my DirectTV is not coming through while in HDMI pass thru mode, only the video. I tried auto detection mode or specifically set it to cable/sat and still no sound, video only. Does pass thru require v1.3 cable or higher or should it work?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar /forum/post/20916412

I don't think I would want it on because sometimes it seems like people on tv are talking from both corners of the room instead of right in front of me where the TV is.

Well that's because you don't have a center speaker and the farther away the front speakers are from the set the bigger the effect. You're basically listening in stereo not surround sound.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats why I would like to be able to use the TV speakers as a center while I search for a new center.

·
The Village Idiot
9,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar /forum/post/20921167

Thats why I would like to be able to use the TV speakers as a center while I search for a new center.

Unless you are willing to rewire your tv speakers to the AVR you should give up this idea and just wait for your center channel to arrive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts