AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear experts---I have a dish 622 PVR, which outputs HDMI. I would like to be able to watch its output in one of two rooms WITHOUT carrying it across rooms. (Unfortunately, the PVR can send 480i over antenna coax back, but not HD.)

The TV in the two rooms are about 30' apart, but by the time I route the cable around the house (outside, back inside), it will be closer to 50'. Actually, optimally, I would do this for 3 rooms, with the third room equally far away.

I am starting from scratch here---I only have wireless in my 100 year-old house [with a lot of competition from my neighbors, too; the bandwidth will never be enough for HD audio]. I have no wired CAT installed. they didn't think about networking back then. in fact, my outlets are usually not even grounded. :-( .

I understand that there are HDMI cables that can go this far. alas, I would much rather have clean wall outlets than a dangling cable. Is there such a solution that is reasonably price competitive?

alternatively, I could lay CAT6 cable, which is fairly cheap, but then I need converters, and they better be inside the wall outlet. I also hate the idea of having another wall-wart to inject power if this is needed (not sure). On the other hand, having the ability to connect a computer every once in a while, would be a plus. Can I use a CAT6 cable simultaneously with a computer while I have HDMI connected?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

/iaw

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch /forum/post/12895443

...alternatively, I could lay CAT6 cable, which is fairly cheap, but then I need converters, and they better be inside the wall outlet. I also hate the idea of having another wall-wart to inject power if this is needed (not sure).

I ran Cat5e and then used baluns on each end. I ended up using the Intelix baluns for just that reason, they look very clean on the wall. Here's a link: http://www.avovercat5.com/products/avov3adwp.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch /forum/post/12895443

On the other hand, having the ability to connect a computer every once in a while, would be a plus. Can I use a CAT6 cable simultaneously with a computer while I have HDMI connected?

You'd need a separate run of Cat for that, and I'd recommend running at least three per location (4 if you want a data port) - 1) HD Video + Digital Audio 2) Stereo Audio 3) IR 4) Data.

(though you could omit the IR run if you wanted to control it via RF, and use the third run for data)

HDMI is a PITA - IMO.

Cheers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks stickyfingers.

but if HDMI is a PITA, what is the need for 3(!) Cat runs at the same time. yikes.

I think I also want to move away from component+audio 4-way cable mess. HDMI, being one cable, looks very attractive in comparison.

/iaw

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The HDMI to Catx solutions are not converting HDMI to TCP/IP, so NO, you cannot share HDMI and data to a PC over the same cable. You can't put the baluns behind the wall either (code violation). And, don't be too sure that 50' HDMI cable will work either...It has alot to do with the source being able to push the HDMI signal and some can handle the added impedance of a 50' cable and some can't.

Your best bet is to use two DEDICATED catx cables and HDMI baluns. You can have the cleanness of a simple wall jack with two RJ45 ports on them and hide the baluns behind the TV on the wall. They aren't that big. You will need power to the balun but usually only at the transmitter end, so that won't be so obtrusive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This might be know but go to Bettercables.com they have amplified HDMI Runs for very lond distances. I can get the DUAL CAt5e Baluns for HDMI but thhey are way more than the HDMI line. HDMI carries a 5volt ps that can be used at a booster which Bettercables uses. Good Luck.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there are a couple of vendors for long HDMI cables with boosters in them.

Accell makes some other ones, too. techlink does, too. the problem for me is that these are not wall plates, but dangling cables. :-(

/iaw

·
Registered
778 Posts
Regarding dangling cables, there are HDMI wall plates that have a female HDMI jack mounted flush on the front and a short "pigtail" with a female HDMI jack on the rear. This allows you to run a standard male-male HDMI cable inside the wall between the source and the back of the wall plate, and another male-male HDMI cable from the front of the wall plate to the display. That'd make for a clean looking installation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts