AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HDMI ports on my Vizio 47 inch TV have gone out a few different time. They are sometimes good for a year other times for a couple months. What causes HDMI ports to go out and How can I stop it from continuing to happen

·
Registered
19,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA567 /forum/post/20843040

My HDMI ports on my Vizio 47 inch TV have gone out a few different time. They are sometimes good for a year other times for a couple months. What causes HDMI ports to go out and How can I stop it from continuing to happen

Cheap components. Keep replacing them under warranty and then look for a new tv.

·
Registered
23,234 Posts
In my personal opinion...

Although the concept of HDMI is wonderful, it's more of a problem than a "convenience".

Many have problems with HDMI interfaces whether it's a TV, AVR, switch, BRD, extender, etc...

Blame all of this on the "copyright police" and greedy movie studios. Also, compliancy to HDMI specs can be left to the interpretation by a manufacturer. Not HDMI interfaces are created equal and some devices do not "play nice" depending on the devices/manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible that there is some additional voltage making it to the TV over time through my cable box. I've replaced the HDMI board 3 times now. It will now probably be fine for the next few months. I'm afraid to buy a new HDMI TV since I dont know if it is the TV or if I'll have the same issue with the next TV I buy.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
interesting, my first thought was it was a hdmi copy protection handshaking problem. Most hdmi ports act like switch boards, you have a Main hdmi port and the rest run off that. So when you have a handshaking problem it can kill all the hdmi ports. You could try to reset the hdmi copy protection by unpluging your tv from the wall for at least 2 min and do the same for your components. This usually fixs handshaking fails. It sounds like you have a different problem tho. I don't know about the cable box breaking the tv, You may just need a new tv and it couldn't hurt to get your cable company to swap out cable boxes ether.

·
Registered
23,234 Posts
If you've had the HDMI board replaced three times, there's a problem with the boards or the external devices connected to the TV.

As suggested, replace the cable box for starters. It would be a shame to buy a new TV and fry it. Replacing a cable box should be no expense to you,

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20843596

If you've had the HDMI board replaced three times, there's a problem with the boards or the external devices connected to the TV.

As suggested, replace the cable box for starters. It would be a shame to buy a new TV and fry it. Replacing a cable box should be no expense to you,

Excellent suggestion!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Do you have any other HDMI devices connected to the tv, and if so do those inputs also die as well as the one the cable box is connected to?

In other words if the only HDMI input that fails is the one the cable box is connected to then there's a slight chance the box is at fault--I doubt it because if this were the case other people with other brands of tv would also be having this problem.

We sold Pro Scan sets for a couple of years--the HDMI inputs would regularly die one at a time starting at about 4 months of use, no common factor as far as what the source device was, just a cheap HDMI board.

·
Registered
23,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20850319

In other words if the only HDMI input that fails is the one the cable box is connected to then there's a slight chance the box is at fault--I doubt it because if this were the case other people with other brands of tv would also be having this problem.

Or... it's just a bad cable box. The TV's HDMI had been replaced 3 times. The box has never been replaced AFAIK. So, I don't think we're indicating that all cable boxes of one particular make/model are at fault. It is likely "one" box could be faulty.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20850395

Or... it's just a bad cable box. The TV's HDMI had been replaced 3 times. The box has never been replaced AFAIK. So, I don't think we're indicating that all cable boxes of one particular make/model are at fault. It is likely "one" box could be faulty.

Which is why I asked if any hdmi ports connected to anything other than the box were failing.

We frankly don't have enough information. If the op only experiences failure of the particular port the box is connected to there's some indication it might be a faulty box. On the other hand if he's also got a BD player or game console connected via HDMI and those ports are also failing the likelihood is that there's a design defect in the set itself.

Better yet, if the OP would post the model number of the set we might be able to find an owner's thread to see if this problem is endemic to that particular set.

·
Registered
23,234 Posts
Okay fair enough. So... it's possibly:

1) three bad HMDI boards

2) one bad cable box

3) another peripheral device connected via HDMI is frying the board(s).

Let's see what info the OP provides.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hi KA567,

Did you lose all HDMI inputs, or only particular ones? If you did lose all HDMI inputs, where they all in use (connected) to sources?

If you plug - unplug the HDMI connector from the TV, can you see a little spark / flash between the HDMI connector shell and the TV frame?

Is your audio / video equipment connected to single mains feed, or multiple? (how are your mains cables connected - where exactly – how many mains sockets; do you use power distribution boards – any surge-protector boards?)

Boky

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.