AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the new Pioneer Elite 74TXVi receiver 2 weeks ago as an "upgrade" from an Elite 56TXi receiver, primarily for the HDMI switching and conversion. I have been trying to get it to work for 2 weeks to no avail, I even bought new HDMI cables in case one of mine were bad. I am trying to connect a Pioneer Elite 59AVi universal player via HDMI and a Comcast Motorola Digital/HD cable box via HDMI-DVI to the 74TXVi. I am running the monitor out via HDMI to a Sony HS51 projector.

The 59AVi and the HS51 are HDCP compliant. I have gone into the input menu on the 74 and selected HDMI for those two sources. I can get audio only from the 59AVi when I connect it to the receiver but when I connect the HDMI to the projector, the HDMI indicator on the front of the receiver flashes on/off and I lose audio. I cannot get video to pass through HDMI at all. So it appears that the problem lies between the receiver and the projector.

For this symptom, the Troubleshooting section is vague, saying check all the following:

NO PICTURE OR SOUND.

- HDCP-compatibility - check

- "Depending on the connected source component, it's possible that it will not work witht his receiver (even if it is HDCP-compatible)" - well that's frigging great! The source components(59AVi and Comcast Digital/HD cable) seems to be getting along correctly with the 74TXVi, but as soon as I make the conenction the projector it loses it's HDMI connection.

- "If the problem still persists when connecting your HDMI component directly to your monitor, please consult the component or monitor manual or contact the manufacturer for support" - If I connect the 59AVi via HDMI or the Comcast Digital/HD via HDMI-DVI directly to the Sony projector it works perfectly and beautifully in both cases, the only problem is when I use the receiver in between.

NO PICTURE

- "If your display device is not SD(480i) compatible then neither the setup screens or the 480i to HDMI converted video will be displayed. In this case, connect using component, S-video or composite video jacks." - The Sony HS51 is 480i compatible but no video or the receivers OSD screens will display. There is nothing in the Sony manual about selecting a specific resolution it just lists all the acceptable one's including 480i. I went into the 59AVi's HDMI menu and selected 480i output and it didn't make a difference if it was still going through the receiver - no picture.

- "Depending on the output settings of the source component, it may be outputting a video format that can't be displayed. Change the output settings of the source, or connect using the component, S-video, or composite jacks." - Whatever that means...just to be sure I went into the 59AVi's HDMI menu and selected 480i with no change, still no picture. No picture through the receiver from SD Concast Digital either.

Basically it doesn't tell me anything other than to use the Component jacks or just accept the fact that even though everythings HDCP compatible sometimes it just mysteriously doesn't work. If that's the case I should have stuck with the 56TXVi because while the sound processing is better, HDMI switching/conversion was my main reason for "upgrading".

Anyone with the 74TXVi (I know there are only a few of you) or anyone more familiar with HDMI got any ideas? Anyone with the Sony HS51 had any HDMI compatibility problems?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.