AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this TV a couple of months ago (I absolutely love it), but now I'm having some strange issues going on with my HDMI devices and this TV. Everything was working just great, until I bought the new Samsung HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo player.

There are 2 HDMI inputs on my TV, and I have cable, the Samsung dvd player, and an X Box 360. I don't have a receiver with HDMI hookups yet, so I have to unplug and plug in the device I'm going to use.

The first time I plugged in my new DVD player, it took several power downs and power ups for the TV to recognize it. From the research I've done, it can take a while for the device to "shake hands" with the TV.

I finally got everything to work when I unplugged everything from the TV, and then plugged the two HDMI cables back into the TV into the opposite ports. My XBox 360 has worked fine all along, so that's good anyway.

I just ordered a receiver, so that should be here on saturday. If anybody has any thoughts or ideas on why this would be happening, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

firewired7

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Please don't take offense but...you should have either bought a 40Gb PS3 for Blu-ray playback or waited until the Blu-ray specs are finalized and bugs are worked out of the standalone players. If you cruise the Blu-ray hardware/software subforums you will see numerous posts of "XX Movie won't play on XX player!!?" and other issues with the standalone players and it seems Samsung players have more than their share of problems. Plugging and unplugging HDMI devices probably isn't a good idea regardless though...I recommend the Oppo HM-31 HDMI switch as a very high quality and easy to use solution to your "handshake" issues. http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

edit- after re-reading your post I see you got the dual format player so disregard my PS3 suggestion.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewired7 /forum/post/12971453

I just bought this TV a couple of months ago (I absolutely love it), but now I'm having some strange issues going on with my HDMI devices and this TV. Everything was working just great, until I bought the new Samsung HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo player.

There are 2 HDMI inputs on my TV, and I have cable, the Samsung dvd player, and an X Box 360. I don't have a receiver with HDMI hookups yet, so I have to unplug and plug in the device I'm going to use.

The first time I plugged in my new DVD player, it took several power downs and power ups for the TV to recognize it. From the research I've done, it can take a while for the device to "shake hands" with the TV.

The device should shake hands with the TV right away, not take a while. If it does take a while, especially on a set that has been working great previously, the problem lies with the new equipment, not the TV. Some HDMI devices work better if the TV is already turned on before the device is turned on, if you turn the TV on after the device then it's likely the handshake will not be completed.

Quote:
I finally got everything to work when I unplugged everything from the TV, and then plugged the two HDMI cables back into the TV into the opposite ports. My XBox 360 has worked fine all along, so that's good anyway.

HDMI is finicky - and the TV and the device should both be turned off when unplugging and plugging in the HDMI cables. If it's done while the TV or device is on wacky things can happen, or you just don't get a picture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts