AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some issues with HDMI and 1080P. My run from my projector to my receiver is approximately 34 feet and I am currently using Monoprice's top of the line 50ft HDMI cable. Everything works great for HD sources like DTV and for any source 1080i or lower but my problem is occurring when I use either my Pioneer Elite BDP-95HD Blu ray player or my Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD player. I am running each of the HD-players through the receiver via HDMI and 1 HDMI to the Sony Pearl.

If my receiver and projector have been off overnight or off for more that 2 or 3 hours then as soon as I turn it on and either HD player boots up and trys to send a 1080P signal to my Pearl the front of the Pioneer Elite Receiver flashes Not Supported and no picture comes through. If I hard sync the HDMI in back of receiver that is outputing to the projector, meaning unplug the HDMI and then plug it back in while the receiver is flashing Not Supported then everything works fine after a few seconds and I can watch a whole movie fine. Same thing is true if I keep the HDMI plugged in while receiver is flashing not supported and do a hard reset of the receiver.

I called Pioneer and they thought it could possibly be a problem with the receiver so I took it back and had the same problem. I have also tried three different HDMI repeaters and two of them fixed the problem for about 5 minutes or so and they the picture was a little grainy so it did not work.

I am guessing the problem has to be with the 50 feet HDMI cable. I was going to return it and try a 35 foot one.

What do you guys think? Definitely the cable or is it possible that the VPL-VW50 doe not support HDMI 1.3 like my receiver and HD players and that is the problem. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there anyone that can help or that has had this problem? I have decided to try a 35 foot HDMI cable but not sure if this will fix my problem.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
The only thing I can help with is to say that i have a Pio Elite 84 driving a VW50 with a Monoprice 35-footer, and have no problems at either 1080i60 or 1080p24.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
What order are you turning on the devices? Boot order that appears to work best for most HDMI handshake cures: Display first - long enough for the pearl to warm up and be ready to receive/complete HDMI handshake. Receiver next - same thing - delay for startup (should be less than pearl startup time). Select source input on receiver. Source power up last. HDMI is really a pain, all kinds of things can go wrong with EDID/HDPC/handshaking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/12976806

What order are you turning on the devices? Boot order that appears to work best for most HDMI handshake cures: Display first - long enough for the pearl to warm up and be ready to receive/complete HDMI handshake. Receiver next - same thing - delay for startup (should be less than pearl startup time). Select source input on receiver. Source power up last. HDMI is really a pain, all kinds of things can go wrong with EDID/HDPC/handshaking.

Yes, I am starting to learn that updgrading to full 1080P was not as smooth of a transition as I was hoping. I am going to try the 35 footer and see if that solves my issues first.

·
Registered
445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard /forum/post/13005437

Yes, I am starting to learn that updgrading to full 1080P was not as smooth of a transition as I was hoping. I am going to try the 35 footer and see if that solves my issues first.

I had a similar issue when I first added a Blu-ray player to my equipment scenario (i.e. the first 1080P source). I could not get a picture so I went and purchased a higher end HDMI cable and everything worked fine. It seems that with 1080P, longer runs, and the sensitivity of the equipments HDMI requirements that the cable can become an issue when it was not prior. However this is just a guess as there seems to be so many variances of what could cause issues with HDMI technology that getting to the root of the issues can be difficult.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I actually have had the HDMI handshake problem with my vsx-92txh since day 1, later I discovered that when this happens (when I get the NOT SUPPORTED message typically with ANYTHING 1080p: computer, XBOX360 Elite, PS3, etc...) if I push power off and then power on, the problem is fixed and the AVR actually does the handshake with my Projector. What I have done is programmed my Harmony to set the input, and then a delay of 2000 ms then power cycle the AVR
... its nasty... but it works... I was hoping for a REAL solution, perhaps with a firmware update, but Pioneer support is pretty much USELESS.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have the same AVR and same projector with a 20' Monoprice HDMI run. i60 and p24 sources are fine, but P60 will cause half (sometimes) or all (sometimes) of the screen to display snow. I don't get the Not Supported message, however. No emperical data, but I have always suspected the AVR as I have seen this with different sources. I suppose it could be the cable, but 20' isn't that long.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I have the exact same Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH receiver and it gives me the exact same "NOT SUPPORT" signal whenever I input anything that's 1080p. If I then switch to another input, like my 1080i cab box, and then BACK to the 1080p input, then everything's fine. What xpat78 says about a "handshake problem" makes a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
has anyone found a fix for this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found the solution to this problem on http://www.sharp-tools.net/archives/002042.html

Here's the text from that website:

"The Problem:

The Blu-ray player, when connected to the Pioneer via HDMI and optical digital audio, won't work in 1080p resolution. When we connected the player (a Sony) it went through a 'quick setup' wizard. At boot and during that process, it was configured for what looked like low res - 480? - while it tried to figure out how to set itself. It reached the 'resolution' phase and announced that it would try to autodetect the proper resolution - and then the picture vanished ('No Signal' on the TV) and the Pioneer amp started flashing the message 'NO SUPPORT' on the amp's frontpanel. After 30 seconds, the picture came back (still low res) and the Blu-ray player asked if we'd seen the test page. We said 'no.' Rinse and repeat; the Blu-ray for some reason kept trying and failing to sync up.

After eventually forcing it to break out of the 'quick start' configuration wizard, we found that it was set to the lowest possible resolution, which did work. So we started trying to manually set it to higher resolutions. Eventually, we determined that while it would display 1080i, any attempt to set the player to 1080p would cause the 'NO SUPPORT' message.

Diagnosis:

This seemed stupid. We were talking about a Pioneer Elite amp, and a Samsung LNT5271f TV - both of which most assuredly would handle 1080p. As a test, I connected the Blu-Ray directly to the TV. It worked fine - so the problem was definitely with the amp. The *other* HDMI devices connected seemed to work fine; the Playstation 3 on another input seemed to work. But the Blu-ray just wouldn't work.

The Solution:

Well, long story short(er). It turns out that the Pioneer lets you manually assign specific video inputs to a particular function - so for example you can select the 'BD' (BluRay Disc) function, and then specify that the amp should switch to 'HDMI-1' and 'Digital Audio-3' (for example) when set to this function. We had done just that, and set it to 'HDMI-1' and 'Digital Audio 3' or some such.

The problem, however, is that although the amp will let you select and use the various video inputs individually, they aren't as independent as you might think. The problem: We had component video cables plugged into 'Component-1' for the cable box - and apparently, that trailing '-1' means that those inputs share some part of the signal path. The fact that component video was plugged into - let's call it Circuit 1, meant that Circuit 1 was limited to the maximum resolution of the component video - which was 1080i.

So we moved the Blu-Ray player to HDMI-4, which had no other devices plugged into that circuit ("-4") and voila, everything worked fine.

Annoying. No mention of this limitation in the manual that I could find, or on the internet. So hope this helps someone."

Basically, just go into the settings for inputs and remove any S-Video and Component inputs to the sources involving HDMI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts