AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening Everyone,

Recently I've been doing some basement work and moved all my A/V units to a rack. I connect everything to my receiver and from the receiver to the TV. When I had everything on a TV stand below the TV I never had a problem with anything. Since I've moved everything to a rack my PS3 shows interference on the TV. When I take the PS3 out of the rack and plug it directly into the TV it works just fine. This is not ideal for what I want to do of course. I have cheaper HDMI cables. I was wondering if I got a more insulated cable would this make a difference, or if anyone has any other ideas that would be great. Thank you for your time and have a great Thanksgiving.

Wares

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
can you describe the "interference" in a bit more detail... that will help in diagnosing where the issue might lie...

other info like: what else is in the rack? and so on... always helps...

also, how long is the run from the avr to the tv? is it longer now than it was before?

also, do you get this interference on any other sources, or just the ps3?

are you processing the video in the avr, or passing it straight through? if passing it straight through, is the ps3 your only 1080p source? if not, try another 1080p source and see what happens. also if passing it straight through, change it to process the video to 1080p, and see what happens from a different source than the ps3.

my ps3 lives in a rack with everything else, and i use monoprice hdmi cables to connect all the components to the avr, and haven't had any issues... that being said, that doesn't mean (sadly) that it's working for you...

and you have a happy thanksgiving as well...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Chris

The interference is static. Quite a bit to be honest, and the occasional flicker.

What I have in the rack is my computer, printer, AT&T router, AT&T cable box, and 2 APC UPS's.

The run from the AVR to the TV is longer. It's 25ft. I do run 1080p from my computer to the TV and have no problem.

The video is passing straight through. I've tried different ports in the AVR and I get the static no matter where I plug it in. I've also tried different patch cables between the AVR and PS3.

Thanks again!

Wares

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

you are welcome...

does the computer pass through the avr as well?

assuming the "static" you are seeing is what i think it is (i.e. it's "sparkly", etc.)... it "sounds like" the run from the avr to the tv is too long for the cable that you are using to reliably transmit the signal...

is it possible (as a test) to push the display over close to your audio rack and connect the display to the avr with a shorter cable? if so, let's give that a try and see what we get.

if that resolves the problem, then the first thing i would do is try a belden cable from blue jeans ... the belden f2 should do...

report back with results...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The computer does pass through the AVR as well.

One other test I'm going to try is connecting the PS3 directly to the 25ft. cable that is connected to the AVR. If that works then it's something with the AVR which really doesn't make a lot of sense since the computer and TV work fine.

I will definitely take a look at the belden f2. I think I could make a 20ft work. It will be cutting it close. I can't move the display any closer because it is fixed on the wall. I could maybe find a shorter cable and run it directly to the display instead of through the ceiling and down behind the wall to see if that works. I know a 3 footer works directly to the TV. Which it better!

I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Wares

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-- Update --

I took the 25ft cord out of the AVR and plugged it directly into the PS3. This picture was even worse with static noise to boot. I've concluded it has to be the cable.

Like I said in my previous post I think I could possibly get away with a 20ft cable but I'm not 100% sure. Do you think the 25ft cable will still be okay?

Thanks again!

Wares

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

ok, good, half the battle is won, we know what the problem is...

yes, i think it will be ok at 25 feet (edit: i use a 25 foot f2 cable from my pre-pro to my display)... they have a good return policy, i would try the f2 cable first, and if that doesn't work, then go for the series-1...

good luck, and post back results...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

good deal! glad you are up and running...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts