AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What matters in a hdmi cable? Will quality be sacrificed from a cable thats cheaper than a more expensive one? Will motion blur be a problem with certain hdmi cables?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
The mantra is build quality, not cable price.

There are certain features which do cost a bit more, and certainly going to eBay as a 'trusted source of quality' is a far cry from what I would recommend. But, good quality comes from Monoprice's better cables (not their cheapest!). Amazon has some cables which have been solidly reviewed. Blue Jeans Cable is a quality manufacturer that costs a bit more but has very high quality standards. My personal favorite for lengths of 6' or less are the super slim HDMI cables from Parts Express which I personally put through HDMI testing with great results and use exclusively on my shorter runs. At 10-15 feet I tend to use the Redmere cables from Monoprice which are about 20 bucks. I really like the slimmer HDMI cables, they work 100% as well as thicker cables, but don't yank on my A/V gear and don't fall out as easily.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
What matters in a hdmi cable? – cable gauge can matter if you are going long. quality of the termination, quality and design of the stress relief on the connector, weight and stiffness of the cable, fit and tolerance of the connector… many variables at play.

Will motion blur be a problem with certain hdmi cables? – no, motion blur is inherent in the Source content and exacerbated by poor processing in your Display device.

If a cable is causing a problem in your system you will suffer random sparkles, intermittent drop-out or no signal, it won’t cause image ‘degradation’ in the way a poor cable can effect a pre HDMI system.

Look for a High Speed cable from a reputable supplier.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts