AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm a newbie here and am trying to learn about the HD world. I recently bought a G20 and am not impressed with the display. I really wanted the display to look realistic, like I'm standing on the set watching it being filmed. The G20 isn't displaying that. Could it be because of my HDMI cable? I am using the one that came with my DVD player. Is there a difference in HDMI cables? What should I look for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyjoe317 /forum/post/19529414

All, I'm a newbie here and am trying to learn about the HD world. I recently bought a G20 and am not impressed with the display. I really wanted the display to look realistic, like I'm standing on the set watching it being filmed. The G20 isn't displaying that.

I don't think any display is going to give that kind of realistic effect.

Quote:
Could it be because of my HDMI cable? I am using the one that came with my DVD player. Is there a difference in HDMI cables? What should I look for? Thanks in advance for your help! Joe

A cheap $5 HDMI cable performs just as well as a $200 HDMI cable. It's a digital signal so there is no real performance gain by going to a more expensive cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen lots of displays like that at BB when I was shopping for my tv. The video that you are watching just looks completely real. It's like you are standing there watching it. In fact when I first saw it while shopping for a tv I wasn't sure I liked it because it was too realistic looking. I had to get used to it, now I'm looking for that look in my tv and don't have it which bothers me because everything I read says the G20 is supposed to be one of the better 2D tv's on the market.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyjoe317 /forum/post/19529798

I've seen lots of displays like that at BB when I was shopping for my tv. The video that you are watching just looks completely real. It's like you are standing there watching it. In fact when I first saw it while shopping for a tv I wasn't sure I liked it because it was too realistic looking. I had to get used to it, now I'm looking for that look in my tv and don't have it which bothers me because everything I read says the G20 is supposed to be one of the better 2D tv's on the market.

What it sounds like you were experiencing is the "soap opera effect" that you get with many of the LCDs now days and their frame interpolation processing. This is used to combat motion blur that's inherent in the LCD technology. Some plasmas have something similar called cinema smooth but not near to the effect of an LCD. Some people like it while others don't. Personally I don't care for the effect as it makes things look artificial to me and not as natural and what a movie is intended to look like.

·
Registered
570 Posts
That is what I thought when I first got my Samsung 6800--the effect of being on the set. Then I started reading about the "Soap Opera Effect"--so that indeed does sound like what you are referring to. Some like it, some don't--but it is not an accurate portrayal of what the director intended. Samsung calls it "Auto Motion Plus" and it can be adjusted--so look for that feature in LCD TVs (called by different names by different manufacturers).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I guess I'll keep my eye out for a good deal on an LCD this coming Friday.

I've heard people say that it is a flaw and not how the director intended it but I don't really care. I like how it looks and that is what is important to me.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
This actually was a very telling thread. Note how the LCD detractors talked about "not what a movie is intended to look like" and "director's intent".

What these folks desire is the entirely artificial and unreal look of film as displayed in a theater. That is a distinctive look that has little to do with realism, and everything to do with the comforting look of the filmed material on the NTSC televisions anybody older than 30 grew up watching. The plasma cells are also a close mimic of the unique look of the light from a CRT, in both cases, phosphors are glowing.

Those of us who favor high frame rates and (regretably) frame interpolation (solely because the video source has too few frames), have a different standard for "realism". We look at the world around us with our bare eyes - with infinite frame rate and natural wide-spectrum light - and desire a video display that resembles what we see.

These are two entirely different objectives. I'm not going to say one is superior to the other, I'm simply noting that they are different.

As the days pass and more and more non-film material appears on DVD, on the Internet, and so forth, one can reasonably forsee a time when film will no longer be used. Just as within my lifetime, analog videotape came into existence, and was replaced by digital video. Some may regret the end of film - I won't be one of those, knowing that a more realistic media (by my definition of realism) will replace it.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/19534266

This actually was a very telling thread. Note how the LCD detractors talked about "not what a movie is intended to look like" and "director's intent".

What these folks desire is the entirely artificial and unreal look of film as displayed in a theater. That is a distinctive look that has little to do with realism, and everything to do with the comforting look of the filmed material on the NTSC televisions anybody older than 30 grew up watching. The plasma cells are also a close mimic of the unique look of the light from a CRT, in both cases, phosphors are glowing.

Those of us who favor high frame rates and (regretably) frame interpolation (solely because the video source has too few frames), have a different standard for "realism". We look at the world around us with our bare eyes - with infinite frame rate and natural wide-spectrum light - and desire a video display that resembles what we see.

These are two entirely different objectives. I'm not going to say one is superior to the other, I'm simply noting that they are different.

As the days pass and more and more non-film material appears on DVD, on the Internet, and so forth, one can reasonably forsee a time when film will no longer be used. Just as within my lifetime, analog videotape came into existence, and was replaced by digital video. Some may regret the end of film - I won't be one of those, knowing that a more realistic media (by my definition of realism) will replace it.

Moral of the story, to each his own but not everyone will like what you do McCoy. That's why there are choices available to us.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/19534266

I'd rather have both formats around. As I think about it you might be right about the format going the way of the dinosaur but I'm willing to bet the look stays for a long time through processing in post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Theaters do not attempt to mimic CRT. Phosphors are a flaw in plasma design, not feature.

Digital formats vs. film has zero impact on movie theater look; many/all movies today which are created entirely digitally retain movie theater look.

Movie theater picture will remain the target/ideal for many many years.

Cinema is simulation. Directors intent is to draw viewer into simulation deeply. Soap opera effect detracts from this. People may like/dislike as they so choose.

TV shows etc may fall into a different category. Don't watch/care.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So you guys are just assuming its the "soap opera effect" that he wants??

He did not make any mention of motion...

He said hes using a DvD player...

It could be that he is not viewing High Def content, it could be a number of picture settings that don't look real to him, etc.

The guys going to return a G20 for a random LCD?

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/19536418

So you guys are just assuming its the "soap opera effect" that he wants??

He did not make any mention of motion...

He said hes using a DvD player...

It could be that he is not viewing High Def content, it could be a number of picture settings that don't look real to him, etc.

The guys going to return a G20 for a random LCD?

I agree with Redwolf4k.

It sounds to me like the poster is looking for the clarity brought on by a true HD forma. DVD's are not HD. They look very very nice with a good player and a good display, but they cannot hold a candle to a blu ray disc.

To the original poster: Get yourself a blu ray player, stat. Check that out first before you decide to trade in your G20. The clarity and resolution are amazing. If it turns out that blu ray alone isn't what you are looking for, then you probably are referring to Frame Interpolation found in 120+hz LCD's. But I suggest checking out a BD first. Also something to try is hooking up HD cable (if you have cable or satellite). Standard definition cable or satellite feeds look horrible on HDTV's, so please don't judge your display based on those.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyjoe317
All,

I'm a newbie here and am trying to learn about the HD world. I recently bought a G20 and am not impressed with the display. I really wanted the display to look realistic, like I'm standing on the set watching it being filmed. The G20 isn't displaying that. Could it be because of my HDMI cable? I am using the one that came with my DVD player. Is there a difference in HDMI cables? What should I look for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe
I think the answer is in your question. You stated that you're using the HDMI cable that came with your DVD player. Newer DVD players do come with HDMI cables but will only display a 480p picture. You need to update your DVD player to a Blu-Ray player. Then you will happily be seeing a 1080p picture.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Hockeyjoe.

What is your source of the HD content you are receiving and waching on your new HD TV?

If you are only watching DVDs or SD TV programs then that may be why the content does not look realistic, it is not a problem with your HDMI cable. If you are using an Upscaling DVD then I suggest that you do not enable the upscalinng since newer HDTVs often do a better job of upscaling than the upscalig DVD players. You may want to get a 3D Blue ray disk player, however, there are very few 3D blu-ray disks available on the retail market yet and none are yet available to rent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts