AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

New to this forum.

Now I have done so much reading on cable quality and length, it really is getting confusing.

I am about to step into the LCD/LED TV world. I was thinking of getting a Audio tower and TV stand but after thinking about this the cables will have to be fairly long for this arrangement to work properly. No problem with most of the cables except for the HDMI cables. I plan on having a A/V receiver and a Directv box, and a DVD player, for starters.

Most of the reading I have done is saying your HDMI cable should not be any longer than 6 ft. But if I use the tower and till you go down the back side of it across the floor to the TV set, you certainly will be longer than the 6 Ft. So are there better made HDMI cables a person can buy, or what.? Or should I just forget the tower and go with a big enough TV stand where I will be able to use the 6 ft length. So is the loss so great between a 6 ft and a 10 Ft HDMI cable that great.?

Thanx....Gunny

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Just get a certified high speed cable. It should be able to handle anything you throw at it. There are certified high speed cables up to 25' long. If you need to go longer, it still may work. Anything over 30' seems to be iffy. It will depend on the cable, all the electronics, what you are trying to shove down the line, and the environment. But folks have reported success at 100' or more at 1080p60. The higher bit rates of Deep Color and 3D will reduce that figure substantially.

Arguably the best HDMI cable you can buy is the Blue Jeans Cable Series 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi COLM

Ok great, glad to hear that. Now do you know of any good places to buy these cable you are talkng about.? Places that a person can trust their products, and not ask an arm and a leg for.?

I have been told to the size of the wire used in some of these cables makes a diff.? But then I have been told this does not apply to HDMI cables just normal reg AC cords. The HDMI signal is not affected buy the size of the wire.?

Thanx....Gunny

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny3053 /forum/post/19549396

Hi COLM

Ok great, glad to hear that. Now do you know of any good places to buy these cable you are talkng about.? Places that a person can trust their products, and not ask an arm and a leg for.?

I have been told to the size of the wire used in some of these cables makes a diff.? But then I have been told this does not apply to HDMI cables just normal reg AC cords. The HDMI signal is not affected buy the size of the wire.?

Thanx....Gunny

Author deleted comment

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Although wire size is not the most important factor in determining in the quality of the received signal with HDMI, it is still a consideration. 28 AWG is fine for short runs. 24 or 22 AWG is a better choice for longer runs. The BJC Series 1 is 23.5 AWG.

Monoprice is a reliable supplier of commodity cables.

BJC makes some of the best cables going, and the prices are reasonable. They also have a Tartan series which is about the equivalent of the monoprice cables and about the same price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all

Thanx for all the good info. I will check out those sites for sure. I understand it better now. Now maybe I will still go for the tower and the stand. I like the idea of being able to get at the connections with out having to move the TV all the time.

The set up I have now with the great big Entertainment center, you have to tear it all apart to get at anything. Not that you have to get at the connections all the time but when you do this setup will be a lot easier.

Much thanx...... Gunny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.