AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi I am really new to this and since we are finishing our basement we decided to add in a home theater.  The walls are just studs right now and we have been asked if we wanted to run in wall HDMI.  It seems like a good idea but when I thought about it I was not really sure what that meant.

I was hoping some of you could share your knowledge. 

First, I understand that the HDMI cable will replace the need to run separate audio and video wires for each device (CD player, DVD player, blue ray, game console).  My question is do you run one HDMI from say a Blue Ray player to the receiver and one for the game console to the receiver etc.  Then run a single HDMI from the receiver to the TV?  That would make some sense as then you would select the device you want to use from the reciver and be done with it. 

The reason this is confusing is that the installer asked me how many HDMI cables I would want to run in the wall.  I figured the answer would be one (or maybe two, see below).  e.g. one from the receiver and everything else will connect to the receiver.  Is this now how these things work?

Second, the receiver we are getting has an audio return channel. Would that then mean we would need a second HDMI to rout that signal?  If, so then maybe my answer is two HDMI cables in the wall. 

If I have way the HDMI works, I am not sure why I could need more than two.  Which leads me to my final question.  Why do the TV's have multiple HDMI inputs if you just run one cable from the receiver?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I am just learning about this.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

Quote:
First, I understand that the HDMI cable will replace the need to run separate audio and video wires for each device (CD player, DVD player, blue ray, game console). My question is do you run one HDMI from say a Blue Ray player to the receiver and one for the game console to the receiver etc. Then run a single HDMI from the receiver to the TV? That would make some sense as then you would select the device you want to use from the reciver and be done with it.

Correct.

Quote:
Why do the TV's have multiple HDMI inputs if you just run one cable from the receiver?

Not everyone is using a receiver. Even if you have a receiver, you might want to utilize or test something with the tv without using your receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks.  Do you know if the ARC needs its own separate HDMI cable?  I am trying to figure out how many to run in the wall.  Since I am using a receiver, it would seem like I need one from the receiver to the TV, one for testing or random device and one for ARC (if it needs its own separate)

So would three be a reasonable number?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What's an "ARC"? Personally, I ran one HDMI cable from my receiver location to my projector. I can't see a need to ever test anything, and if I did, I'd just unhook the HDMI from the projector and use that. However, I also ran conduit and put the HDMI cable into the conduit. Nonetheless, I had a rough time getting a single HDMI through the conduit and don't think I could get two through there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.