AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a 70 inch M series Vizio HDTV with 4 HDMI ports.

However I have the following units which I want to output to my TV via HDMI:

Roku

DishNetwork

Sony Blu-Ray

PlayStation4

Xbox360

PC via DVI to HDMI (I may not use this much once i get the ASUS ROG swift 27" due out in Q2 2014 but i still want the option)

What are my best options to be able to connect all these to my TV via HDMI?

Do I need an HDMI switch/splitter or are there other options?

I have been unplugging the HDMI when switching from PS4 to Xbox, and I had read on these forums that hot plugging can cause shorts and damage to the devices connected. So I want to avoid this of course.

If an HDMI switch/splitter is the best or only option, I would greatly appreciate a list of 3 or so highly recommended products that might suit my needs. I have seen a lot of passive ones with poor reviews compared to powered. But I have no idea what the difference is between powered/non-powered or matrix.

I don't want to have a degradation in quality or response time. As far as I know the signal for HDMI cables doesn't degrade, you either have a picture or you don't.

Thanks in advance for your input

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineAVS  /t/1520586/hdmi-ran-out-of-hdmi-ports-on-tv-options/0_100#post_24428872

I have a 70 inch M series Vizio HDTV with 4 HDMI ports...

What are my best options to be able to connect all these to my TV via HDMI?

I have the same issue with my Sony 4k, and I have the additional "requirement" (not really but as long as I' buying something for the 2.0 capable set), I need/want a 2.0 switch

And one that my Harmony can control.

There are a zillion choices on B&H but not much useful data...

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineAVS  /t/1520586/hdmi-ran-out-of-hdmi-ports-on-tv-options#post_24428872

Do I need an HDMI switch/splitter or are there other options?

If you don't have an A/V Receiver setup for this display, you're missing out on a much better audio experience with all that gear.

And most AVRs have lots of HDMI inputs - between any of those and the TV you'd have plenty.
Quote:
I have been unplugging the HDMI when switching from PS4 to Xbox, and I had read on these forums that hot plugging can cause shorts and damage to the devices connected. So I want to avoid this of course.

Not going to cause any issues, but it is wear-and-tear on the connector(s). Look for an HDMI switch with automatic selection or default ports, and then move just the game consoles to that unit. If you only have one on at a time, the automatic selection would take care of the switching for you.
Quote:
If an HDMI switch/splitter is the best or only option, I would greatly appreciate a list of 3 or so highly recommended products that might suit my needs. I have seen a lot of passive ones with poor reviews compared to powered. But I have no idea what the difference is between powered/non-powered or matrix.

You just need a simple switch, not a matrix. The "unpowered" switches get their power from the HDMI cable - and that's why they can be problematic. Always get one with its own little power supply, they will just work better...

I don't have a specific recommendation for you - but if you narrow down to "powered" units with 3-4 inputs, auto-selection switches, you should be fine. Buy one from somewhere with a good return policy (Monoprice) if you run into compatibility/ usability issues.
Quote:
I don't want to have a degradation in quality or response time. As far as I know the signal for HDMI cables doesn't degrade, you either have a picture or you don't.

Correct.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks a lot for your suggestions Jeff.

As far as sound i'm am using a Vizio soundbar with wireless rear speakers (S4251w-B4) connected to the optical port on the TV.  I do not have an AV receiver. It sounds like an AV receiver might be better than getting an HDMI switch if the sound will really improve. 

Do you have any recommendations for AV receivers?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Well, since you're using a soundbar and not the little built-in TV speakers, my suggestion is less attractive, as you'd have to replace the soundbar as part of the upgrade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ok i'll do some research on simple HDMI switches then (powered with auto selection and 3-4 inputs).

All of this is in my bedroom so the soundbar noted above actually performs quite well.  I just bought like 7 HDMI cables and an HDMI to DVI cable from monoprice earlier today. I didnt realize they are coming out with HDMI 2.0 but i supposed the actual devices will  need to support that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts