AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Looking for a decent low budget Receiver with HDMI switching, 5.1 surround, and maybe the ability to uses wireless rear speaker setup as well. Looked heavily into pioneers vsx-521-k, but the reviews have been less than stellar and I wanna make sure I get a good well rounded product.

Using this to connect my PS3, xbox, and comcast cable box to my Epson 8350 projector. I have a mess of a setup with hdmi switches and digital optic switches and cords everywhere with my current basic surround sound system. One thing I do like about my setup is the rear transmission box that runs 2 rear speakers wirelessly to my surround system. I know this is unlikely with low budget receivers but you guys will know more about what's out there than I do.

Don't use the system much for music, but I will on occasion for get togethers so as long as I can watch and listen to my Blu ray and get 5.1 easily through all my components I'll be happy.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in roughly the same boat as you, and I've been creeping around here for quite a while now. My thoughts:

I don't know how you feel about manufacturer refurbished items, but several sites have many great receivers on fire sale right now. I'm kind of leery of the idea of refurbished items (especially the lack of warranty), but the prices are so much cheaper than buying new. (Not in any way an ad for these sites, just what I am myself considering right now).

Additionally, if you call some website's customer service, they can give you better prices than they list on their sites. Just an idea. (Same as above, not an ad, don't delete me please!)

Lastly, jdsmoothie is the man. I've learned a lot from him in a very short time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

jdsmoothie, I know this I happening, which is why I'm asking what's a good receiver and what's not. I wanna know ahead of time which receivers lack common features or which ones simply don't last. Brands i should lean toward or draw away from. I've done some research, but I'm lookin for a good receiver now, not after a month or two of searching.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurbished - but thats just me. I've bought many refurbished products over the years and had very good luck. The only one I had to send back was a HK AVR 247 and HK sent me a 254 in return.

The Onkyo CR260 has all the features you are looking for - and more. Onkyo has had some quality issues so it may not be a good gamble - you just never know. To be fair most of the manufacturers have had quality issues - many of them stemming with the moving target that is HDMI. Too many new version releases of HDMI while they try to nail down the specs for the current and even older ones. Some of the problem comes from consumer demand for cheaper products that do everything. You can only cram in so many gadgets at a particular price-point and that is Onkyo's downfall IMO.

Within your budget constraints you will not see stellar reviews of any of those products that fit for you.

You get a one year warranty vs two years buying new but the price is right. Check out Denon's AVR 591 and the 1611 . Both have Audyssey Mult EQ - much better than Onkyo's Audyssey 2EQ. Both of those are refurbished - a new AVR of similar price will have much less features. I bought a refurbished Denon 589 last year from DakMart and it has performed great. YMMV.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot,

I assume you mean Onkyo RC260 not CR but I figured it out. I do like the features of that model a lot, and I found some good prices on that model as well. Only thing that scares me is the build quality you talk about, especially if I'm buying refurb or used.

·
Registered
29,313 Posts
I don't know where you live but if you have a Fry's Electronics nearby keep checking their ads. they've had the NR509 as low as $199 and the RC360 as low as $249. I got my Denon 591 for $199 from there. And these are all new in box items, not refurbs.

You can't predict when the sale may happen, you have to check their ads.
http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/...0177&loc=53824

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately no I don't have those around me nor have I ever even heard of that store. From central Illinois and we don't have much for electronics stores period, at least not warehouse stores. Best Buy, walmart, and Sams club are all we have, no specialty stores

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I've decided on either the Denon 591 or the 1611. From what I see and read they are nearly identical in specs. So whatever one I can find cheaper is probably what I'll go with.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbergman /forum/post/20877522

I think I've decided on either the Denon 591 or the 1611. From what I see and read they are nearly identical in specs. So whatever one I can find cheaper is probably what I'll go with.

I can't talk price directly, but I can point you in the way of the online dealers listed on denon's site. Some have EXTREMELY good deals on those receivers right now.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbergman /forum/post/20877522

The 1611 is a bit more expensive but its also 7 channels vs 5 channels on the 591.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I checked out a place on their site ecost.com. Anyone have anything to say about them?? Great prices on manufacturer refurb products, I may go that route, saving a lot of money.

Yea, u know it's 7.1, but I have a current 5.1 setup and don't really have the right space for 7 speakers in the room so 5.1 will do just fine. But like I said, if I find the right price on a 1611 I will get that. More features can never hurt if I ever care to upgrade what I've already got.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Good buy - the Denon AVRs work pretty good. I use an old 589 for day to day listening so I don't have to fire up the HT system. It actually does a very good job for stereo music.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only issue is i know the output is only 75w per channel. I hope it pushes my speakers enough, have some old school 3 foot tall speakers that I don't know a lot about. But I would assume they take a bit to push, we will see I guess.

·
Registered
29,313 Posts
When you set a whopping budget of $250 for a HDMI receiver you weren't expecting a massively powerful receiver I hope. It wouldn't make sense to do that.

but since you have no idea about the power requirements of your speakers, then all you can do is hook up a new receiver and see what happens.

what receiver did you have before?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.