AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have;

42" LCD TV (HDMI & component but at only 720P)

Sony VPL-HW10 (HDMI at 1080P)

Xbox 360 (HDMI 1080P)

PS3 (HDMI 1080P)

Wii (Component 720P?)

Denon AVR-3805 (Non HDMI)

HDMI Matrix (4 in 2 out) switcher

The projector screen rolls down in front of the LCD TV, and I need the ability to have BOTH screens showing the same video. I had run into a problem where the HDMI switch will not do the job. The issue is that the LCD TV is not 1080P capable.

I had then hoped the PS3 and Xbox will output both HDMI (@1080P) as well as Component @ 720P at the same time - no such luck.

So, now My only choice is to get a new receiver, but I need one that will;

- Either have 2 HDMI outputs, 1 going out at 1080P, the other at 720P. And upconverts.

- Or one that outputs both Component at 720P as well as HDMI at 1080P.

From reading the Sony STR-DA5400ES manual, it seems that this unit cannot do either of above. Will the Denon AVR-3808 or AVR-4308 do these?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I don't have a suggestion, but just want to point out that the Wii only outputs 480P over component video. I'm not sure if this will affect your needs in a receiver or not. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw /forum/post/15590317

I have;

42" LCD TV (HDMI & component but at only 720P)

Sony VPL-HW10 (HDMI at 1080P)

Xbox 360 (HDMI 1080P)

PS3 (HDMI 1080P)

Wii (Component 720P?)

Denon AVR-3805 (Non HDMI)

HDMI Matrix (4 in 2 out) switcher

The projector screen rolls down in front of the LCD TV, and I need the ability to have BOTH screens showing the same video. I had run into a problem where the HDMI switch will not do the job. The issue is that the LCD TV is not 1080P capable.

I had then hoped the PS3 and Xbox will output both HDMI (@1080P) as well as Component @ 720P at the same time - no such luck.

So, now My only choice is to get a new receiver, but I need one that will;

- Either have 2 HDMI outputs, 1 going out at 1080P, the other at 720P. And upconverts.

- Or one that outputs both Component at 720P as well as HDMI at 1080P.

From reading the Sony STR-DA5400ES manual, it seems that this unit cannot do either of above. Will the Denon AVR-3808 or AVR-4308 do these?

As far as I know the Denon's will not do either of these. I'm not aware of any AVR that allows you to set two different resolutions for the two HDMI outputs. However, since it doesn't appear the you will be using the two displays at the same time, you could change the output resolution in the AVR's menu when switching between the displays, or else set the output to 720 and let your Sony do the scaling to 1080.

Also, HDMI video input to the AVR can only be output via the HDMI outputs because of HDCP. So if you want to output the video via both component and HDMI from the AVR you would need to connect your Xbox and PS3 to the AVR using something other then HDMI. In that case, the Denon's might be able to output 720p over component and 1080p over HDMI.

If you want to use HDMI from your source components to the AVR, your best option might be to replace your LCD with a 1080p display.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts