AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the present time I have a receiver that has a pass through allowing me to send the video to my older big screen TV. I use a hdmi converter to dvi to get video on my television. I get my sound by the use of optical from the product to my receiver.

Now the question is with the newer receivers that have a monitor out. Will I be able to run hdmi from the player to the hdmi inputs on the receiver and get audio from the receiver? Second question if a run a hdmi from monitor out ,on the receiver, to my hdmi converter while i still be able to receive video on my television?

I think I know the answer which is probably no but I want to make sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
? not really sure what you mean. Perhaps providing your equipment models (especially receiver) will help. Anyways, a "normal" receiver is able to "take" audio from the hdmi stream, play it out the speakers AND send the video on to the monitor out for use by a display (or any other box)... that's kind of the whole point of any receiver / avr. Hence the "confusion" about what you are trying to do?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The first question is a definite yes.

The last one is a little trickier depending on hardware/firmware, but my experience with this tells me you should be OK.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I could be wrong, but appears OP is looking for an AVR that has HDMI passthrough that works while the AVR is turned off, including audio passthrough. Some AVR must be turned on to pass audio/video signals, keep this in mind when making an AVR selection if you are in the market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts